This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

We’re knee-deep in the semester, which means two things: you may have to spend all of your savings on textbooks (again), and you won’t have time to earn some cash as you did during summer break.

For most college students, like myself, coming up with a substantial amount of money for almost anything can be… taxing, to say the least. Let’s say you have an event coming up, and you need a new outfit, or your car broke down so you have to take a Lyft for the next three weeks. Or maybe there’s a pair of shoes on sale and tomorrow will not happen unless you order them. Needless to say, having money is precious—and not having enough of it can make things difficult.

Source

But there’s a solution ensuring that you have money in your pocket without having to neglect your schoolwork… it’s called working part-time! *eye roll* Sure, some of you are thinking, “Well, duh! Of course, you can work and stay in school, that’s why it’s called part-time.” But here comes the interesting part…you can determine your availability for work before you submit your first job application! Additionally, if you want to find employment without ever leaving campus, you can check out, Handshake—a site that caters to college students looking for jobs, internships and career opportunities!

Source

Depending on your school’s registration process, you can strategize when you go to class, when you go to work, and when you can have time away from both. If you’re lucky, you could end up with a schedule like mine (which if you ask me, looks AMAZING) : 

Monday & Wednesday: School (13/15 credit hours worth of classes)

Friday – Sunday: Work

Tuesday & Thursday: Neither

(Disclaimer: to prevent all-nighters, please use school/work-free days to do school work…speaking from experience)

Nonetheless, if you’re looking to make some extra cash while earning your degree, get creative and move some stuff around! Don’t let the weight of pursuing your degree keep you from making it rain now and then!

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
The GSU chapter of Her Campus