On Mondays, We Make Money with Mychael Michelle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Her Campus GSU had the opportunity to begin our second birthday with a bang! Coming with timely advice and her signature hot pink hair, we had the chance to host The Hair Rock Cafe’s Mychael Michelle.

On Feb. 20, 2017, we had the chance to engage with the hairstylist known in Atlanta for creating some very “sickening” looks. If you have never heard of The Hair Rock Cafe you most likely have seen her creations on the television show “Love and Hip Hop Atlanta” or on R&B artist Keyshia Cole. Her eye for self expression and natural talent for creating works of art as everyday hairstyles is what has helped her skyrocket to be one of Atlanta’s most popping hair stylists and entrepreneurs today.

Michelle credits her love for hair when she would go to the hair shop with her mother as a little girl and watch every detail of the experience. “I would just always watch everything that the hairstylist would do and how my mother would feel when she would leave,” Michelle said. “I would always say oh I want to learn how to do that.”

Like many little girls, she soon took her new talents to the heads of her dolls where the rest would lead her to where she is today. This Q and A session soon got a little more inspirational when it came to the topic of motivation. After several trials and errors and a move to Atlanta from Baltimore, Michelle found herself homeless but striving to make her situation better than what it had been. Whenever we look at someone and the many accolades that they posses you usually can never see what it took for them to get there.

The talented hairstylist also accounts the many times where she questioned whether or not she should continue the work she was doing, however, not once did she think about returning to Baltimore. Returning home to her family and community meant that she would in a sense become “stuck” because as she described there was nothing there for her. In order to build and to expand yourself that sometimes means breaking free from familiarity and submerging yourself into a new place where you can get ahead.

As she accounts, “I was ready to go and I didn’t have anything set up.” “What I did do was put myself in certain places that I felt was going to help me. I put myself around people who were better than me, people who were smarter than me, people who were so much more established than me and that helped me out,” said Michelle.

However, simply because the feat is big does not mean that one cannot accomplish their dreams. Statistically many hair salons do not make it to year two of being in full function and to be considered “successful” your salon would have to be in operation for five years. The Hair Rock Cafe has made it well beyond that five year mark attracting customers not only from Atlanta but from all over. One of her most popular clients, Keyshia Cole, has aided in the trendsetters success. Reaching out to Mychael via social media and soon after helping to coin her as one of the best colorists in the business, she practically took off.

Utilizing your social media for building your brand and to curate business is one of the biggest assets that Mychael Michelle encourages. “I feel that I am successful because of social media,” Michellel said. “I used it to the best of my ability and it’s like everybody is watching you now so you have to make smart moves for your business,” said Michelle

One of Michelle’s biggest trademarks is something that you obviously cannot miss and that is her vibrant, hot pink hair! It is definitely hard to miss her whenever she walks in a room and not just because of the hair alone but because of the presence she brings with it. Attributing her hair color choice as something that she began, she often struggled with the difference between inspiration and imitation when she would see the hot pink color choice pop up more around Atlanta. She attributed her views on people trying bold colors to upbringing in Baltimore.

“Coming from Baltimore you already have a defense mechanism about yourself and you kind of already have this negative thing because you’re around negativity,” Michelle said. “When I started to see other people change their hair pink I would be like why are they copying off of me when it wasn’t about being copied it’s just that a lot of people are inspired.”

Whether it was inspiration or imitation, Michelle always made sure that she held her own. When the topic of persevering came up, our guest had so much to share! She began by stressing the importance of finding the answers when no one will give it to you. “In certain situations yes, you have to take no”, Michelle said. “However, if it’s something that you really know you can do; something that you know can help you out in life I feel like you should never take no, you should never try to stop something because you’re scared.”

Along the lines of finding your yes, Mychael Michelle also touched on the topic of fear and what hinderance it holds when you allow it to take a front seat. Her story of humble beginnings to slaying a sickening hairstyle is definitely something that any collegiate in any field should hear. No one just goes into their career. A lot of times you have to go through that trial and error before you can truly feel the fulfilment, and that is often a part of your journey. Nonetheless, Mychael was able to drop a few more gems concerning your worth (in terms of business payments) and paying attention to who you have in your circle.

So if you are a person aspiring to create something beyond your wildest dreams, start by looking at yourself and figuring out if you are truly ready to do it.

To find out more about Mychael Michelle and her amazing hair studio or to book a visit, go to The Hair Rock Cafe online or by following them on Instagram @thehairrockcafe!

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus