Meet Miss Black and Gold 2015-2016 Teesha Hart!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Teesha Hart

Year: Senior

Major: Studio Art

Hometown: Rockford, Illinois

Her Campus: Why did you choose GSU?

Teesha Hart: GSU has always been my dream university, but I wanted a change of scenery and decided to head to Armstrong State University in Savannah, GA. It was far enough from home to get away, but still close enough that my mother wouldn’t freak out. After I had to discontinue school due to financial reasons I took two years off and worked in the corporate world. After much deliberation I decided I need to finish getting my bachelor’s and GSU was my very first option. It was so appealing to me because it is a large, diverse university located in the heart of downtown Atlanta. And I also heard that the Art program was amazing. I can say that I am still happy with my choice.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

TH: Previously I was a member of Infinite Appeal, and Panther’s Allure. I also competed in the last Miss Georgia State University Pageant and the Zeta Mu Alpha’s Miss Black and Gold Pageant.

HC: How did it feel to hold the Ms. Georgia State title?

TH: It was a true honor and when I cried on stage those tears were genuine. I never thought I would actually win, I just looked at it as a great experience. Don’t get me wrong I did put my all into that pageant and I guess it paid off. And It felt amazing to have young ladies come up to me and congratulate me and say that they actually admired me and the platform that I stood for at the time which was Fighting Childhood Obesity: One Step at a Time. Another perk that I had while holding the title of Miss Georgia State University was going to complete in the Miss Georgia Pageant that following summer. It’s pretty cool to say that I competed against Miss Georgia and now the current Miss America, Betty Cantrell.

HC: What is one of your most memorable moments during your reign?

TH: While promoting my platform Fighting Childhood Obesity: One Step at a Time, I went to various elementary and middle schools and talked to the kids about the importance of health, fitness and shared my personal story about when I was an obese child and how I overcame it. I also brought along my personal trainer at the time and we got the kids up and moving around, it was a fun experience and they learned a lot during that time as well.

HC: What was did you learn during your reign?

TH: I learned the importance of staying informed on current events, how to carry myself with grace and eloquence because others will always be watching, I learned how important time management is, and that you should cherish the friendships you make and the people that you meet along the way.

HC: What is it like being Miss Black and Gold?

TH: It feels like I am a part of a large family and I love it! To this very day I have become so close to the brothers of the Zeta Mu chapter and they have each taught me something valuable. And it’s nice to say that I am still close with my pageant sisters as well! I also understand that I have a responsibility as Miss Black and Gold, and next semester when I have my programs on campus I want to really promote my platform which is to End Obesity in America: One Step at a Time. And the steps are eating healthy, working out, accepting you body for what it is, and self love. So be on the look out for that !

HC: What is your ultimate career goal?

TH: To become a professional actress. I have changed my career ambition various times because I thought at one point I was chasing an unattainable dream, but since I was a child I have wanted to act. After much prayer and deliberation I have come to the conclusion that I was put on this earth to be an entertainer. I also want to be a role model for young African American woman everywhere and show them that you can chase your dreams as well, it’s possible to obtain as long as you  stay focused and don’t give up.

HC: Who is your role model?

TH: Besides my mother, obviously, I would say Oprah Winfrey. She has overcome so many obstacles in her life that she didn’t let hold her back and now she is an African American successful billionaire! That will be me one day. When I become a successful actress I will make sure that I use my status and position to make a difference in the community and th world as a whole.

HC: What is your dream job?

TH: To become a successful professional actress

HC: What is your favorite quote?

TH: “Everything happens for a reason”

HC: How do you want GSU to remember you?

TH:  As Miss Everything, as some as my friends call me. Besides my accomplishments I want to be remembered for my positive energy, ambitious spirit and friendly personality. 

K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.