Making a Spring Break Staycation Worth Your While

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Spring break season is upon us collegiates!

Like many of us, maybe you did not realize that spring break was coming up and after being swamped with midterms and late nights you could really use a vacation. However, your part of planning and gathering your coins for the much needed vacation has been a fail and maybe you are stuck at home. However, do not fret! There is a way to get your vacation on if you are trying to be budget friendly this spring break.

Staycations are exactly what they sound like! Making the most out of your city while you have the time to do so. So what you could not hit the beach in Miami or board a plane to California, you can still have fun with what you have right in front of you. Now, while a staycation may not seem as glamorous or exciting, take advantage of it. Is there something in the city that you have always wanted to do or see? Or possibly, you have just enough saved to treat yourself to something nice since you have worked so hard all semester. Despite what it may be, there are always different ways to make your staycation worthwhile.

Specifically, if you are stuck in Atlanta there are so many things to take part in. Atlanta is such a blossoming city that has so many hidden gems to embrace. Or even if you want to get out of the city for just a little bit, there are surrounding cities that have plenty to offer as well.

1. Stay at a hotel if you can

This is a huge one if you are a student who is a commuter. Staying at a hotel is not only away from home (especially when you live with your parents) but can be a huge breath of fresh air and is ultimately a vacation in itself. What makes this even better is that you book a room that is near downtown or a place where you can truly immerse yourself in the city. Pick a budget friendly but inviting place and then enjoy all of the ammenities they have to offer. The pool, an open sauna, free breakfast, free WiFi for Netflix and Hulu, an open fitness center or even just sleeping in knowing that there is no alarm to interupt your sleep is definitely something to look forward to!

The Georgian Terrace Hotel located in Midtown Atlanta

2. See some art

Atlanta’s art scene is not only amazing but kind of lowkey. Aside from the popular High Museum of Art there are other places in the city that you probably never knew existed. Have you ever heard of the Atlanta Contemporary Museum? If not, then this one is a freebie. This museum offers contemporary art and free coffee! Located on Means Street they also offer free parking and are located in an area that has a street of casual restaurants and a few bakeries if you have a sweet tooth!

The High Museum Located in Midtown Atlanta

3. Be spontaneous!

Is there something that you have wanted to try or do but have never conjured up the courage to do it? Well now here is the time! We are not talking hasty decisions, but instead those that you have really thought about for an extended period of time. Is there a hair color you want to try? A nose ring that you want to get? Or maybe it is even going to your first concert or going indoor skydiving. Whatever it is, do it! Truly experience the feeling that you get when you do something fulfilling for the first time on your staycation!

iFly Atlanta is located near Cumberland Mall

4. Eat food…lots and lots of food

If you are a foodie like me, then you know that our love for this stretches far beyond a box of Kraft mac and cheese. This is the time that you can get out there and try something new! Going out and venturing to places that you see on Instagram or Groupon can be such a fun experience, especially if it is food that you have never tried before. A good recommendation is to go out to Ponce City Market. There are literally endless choices from around the world packed into one industrial space that will keep you coming back! Or if you are feeling more adventurous, DIY your favorite meals and recreate some recipes to your liking. Who knows, maybe those homemade rice krispies will not be so awful.

Savage Pizza in Little Five Points

5. Treat yourself

It is spring break, why not have a mini spa day? Better yet, why not make this into a DIY spa day and create your own body scrubs and facial masks? Oatmeal, avocado, honey, almond milk (yes milk), sugar, lemons and anything that makes you feel nice and smooth is what you could be using since we all know that these ingredients are probably collecting space anyway. The next step would be to buy mason jars to store the extra product in and try to use it within one week. If you have any girlfriends in town, share the wealth! Make a spa day out of it, pop in a good movie, order your favorite meal and relax together.

Here is the recipe for the one above!

6. Go sight seeing

A little different from just seeing art and exploring new food, go sight seeing. Atlanta specifically offers city passes for their top tourist destinations in the city such as The World of Coke and the Georgia Aquarium. If you are tired of the city and want to venture out, visit Callaway Gardens or make a day trip to Tybee Island. Taking a vacation does not always mean that you have to stay overnight because sometimes we just do not have the time. However, map out wherever you want to go and make them multiple trips if possible. Your staycation does not have to be stagnant!

Georgia Aquarium located in Downtown Atlanta

7. Groupon

Groupon or better known as the collegiate’s best friend is the ultimate budget friendly way to enjoy hands on deals in the city. Bowling, mini golf, laser tag and any other thing that you can think of to confine your stress for a few days is all on Groupon. If you have a good group of friends who are still there or if you and bae have yet to have a date night because of the super busy semester, then here is your chance. A favorite Groupon is a bundle deal for mini golf and bowling south of Union City in Newnan, Ga for you and five of your friends. What is even better is that you can possibly make this a double date or a girls night that is even included with a free drink for each of you.

8. Put your goals on paper

Vision boards are definitely a popular trend for focusing on your dreams in 2017. So if you just so happen to be at home for spring break, work on not being at home during the summer! Envion where you would like to be and work toward that. So you had a vacay setback for spring break, who says you have to have one for the summer? Research where you would like to travel, save your coins and go! There is an entire world to see and it is waiting on you to discover it. Pull out those old magazines, print out those pictures from Pinterest and decide what is next for your inner traveler.

9. Relax

Okay so maybe all of those ideas above sound good, but you are really just burned out from the first half of the semester. Take your time to chill and take a breather. Focus on yourself and rejuvenating before the second half of the semester starts. Challenge yourself to truly commit to turning off the alarm, saying no, taking a hot bath and embracing your fuzzy slippers that do not get much love. You have earned it!

Now who said that you had to go out of town to have a fulfilling spring break? There are still things to do and places to see right where you are! You have earned a break, so why not take one?

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
I am junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minoring in Marketing. I hold executive positions in two organizations on campus: Director of Public Relations for EmpowHER and Vice President of Her Campus Georgia State Chapter Outside of school, I am Director of Public Relations/Marketing of AREA, Atlanta's Resource for Entertainment and Arts; along with being a part of the professional performing ensemble at AREA. In my free time, I write for my lifestyle blog, As Told By Tay.