Looking Forward: Things To Be Optimistic About in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

2020 was a whirlwind to say the least, and the beginning of 2021 certainly did not start the way we had all hoped. So far, it just feels like a continuation of last year. If 2020 taught us anything, it’s that in a blink of an eye, everything can change. Luckily, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Here are three categories of things to look forward to in 2021 (assuming the world doesn’t end. Kidding. Maybe.)

1. New Movies

Streaming services became an important part of our lives in 2020. Sure, laying on the couch for hours can be boring, but let’s be honest– it’s kinda become a guilty pleasure for us all. Relaxing and enjoying films and TV we might have not watched otherwise is still the vibe for 2021. Here are a few films hitting the big (and little) screen. ​

Yes, you heard that right. Netflix will have a new movie for you to watch EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. So your binge-watching days are far from over. 

But this time, with Camila Cabello, Idina Menzel, and Billy Porter– need I say more? There is no release date set yet, but it is assumed to come out in 2021. 

This James Bond film was originally going to release in November 2020, but… you know. It wasn’t necessarily the best time for a major film series to release their 25th installment of 007. If you are into action movies (or literally just want to hear Billie Eilish’s song in the opening credits) I highly recommend seeing this one. 

The world needs more women super heros. Including the Marvel world. Scarlett Johansson is back to the big screen, but this time, Black Widow is the main character. 

turned on LED movie projector
Photo by Alex Litvin from Unsplash
2.  New Music 

Like the rest of the world, artists were quarantined in 2020, too. Maybe that’s why there are so many great albums to look forward to in 2021.

Where was Drake when 2020 was falling apart? Releasing this album in 2020 would have made it a *little* bit better, but luckily we can look forward to it in 2021. There is no set date, but a representative of OVO Sound announced in August 2020 that the album is 90% done.

Lana Del Ray stans have been waiting patiently for a new album since her last studio album released in 2019. “Chemtrails over the Country Club” is set to release in March 2021. Not to mention, Target is releasing an exclusive red vinyl for you record lovers. 

Us bass-obsessed listeners are seriously missing EDM festivals, but luckily, Porter Robinson will be blessing our ears with new songs in no time. The album “Nurture” has been in the works for quite some time, and it’s finally scheduled to hit music streaming platforms in 2021.

record player
Photo by Victrola Record Players from Unsplash
3. A New Political Beginning 

Probably the most important of all, 2021 is an important year, specifically in Georgia, but for all of America as well. Not only will we have a new President (yay!) Joe Biden, but we will also have the first woman of color, Kamala Harris, as our Vice President. How exciting is that? America, despite recent events in Washington, seems to be taking a step towards a better future. And Georgia, well, we turned the state completely blue! Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphael Warnock are set to take Senate seats soon. Change is upon us, and that is something to look forward to in 2021. 

joe biden speaking at presidential campaign rally
Photo by Gage Skidmore distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license
Whether 2021 looks a lot like 2020, or the world goes back to normal by the end of the year, there are things to be optimistic about, nevertheless. We are moving towards better days, you just have to acknowledge they are there.

Autumn Boekeloo is an aspiring entertainment journalist living in Atlanta, GA. She is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies. The 21 year old will be graduating in December 2021 with a B.A. and several academic awards. Autumn has written for print and online newspapers at Georgia State. She enjoys writing articles about lifestyle, festivals and all things Atlanta. She hopes to work for a magazine one day while pursuing her own blog.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus