This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Kanye West once said the prolific line, “Before he spoke, his suit be spoke,” to describe a man who dresses so well that he needs no introduction. This definitely goes for this week’s very stylish Campus Celebrity, John J. 

Name: John J

Classification: Junior

Hometown: London

Birthday/Sign: July 26th/Leo

Instagram: @johnthedapperdj

Why did you pick GSU?

“My mindset initially coming in as a freshman was to get as far from home as possible. Georgia State wasn’t my first pick, but when I realized that it’s in the heart of the city and there are so many opportunities in the city, I became excited to come here and explore Atlanta.. plus Drake shouted GSU out in a song and I thought that was pretty cool.”

What would you like to do when you grow up?

“I initially wanted to be an Entertainment lawyer or financial reporter, but now I’m not interested in that anymore. I still want to do something in entertainment, but I want to be a really influential DJ and TV host.”

What organizations are you involved with on campus? 

“Currently, I am the vice president of the Sneaker Community, election commission for Student Government Association, I’m a committee member for Spotlight Programs Board, I serve as an information desk assistant at the Student Center, and I’m the music director for Infinite Appeal.”

How do you balance school and your personal life with the numerous organizations you’re involved in? 

“It’s actually really difficult and I used to be bad at time management. So, I  got a schedule for myself and it made it easier. I got a calendar and put everything I need to do on it. I prioritize and sometimes I have to lock myself in a room to focus and get things done.”

What organization are you most devoted to?

“I would say I’m committed the most to the Sneaker Community but I’m still heavily involved with all the other organizations.”

What are some of the latest projects you’re involved on campus?

“The Sneaker Community recently had the “Sneaker Ball”, which was a charity ball where old sneakers were donated to a non-profit organization called SolesforSouls. The idea originally came from our committee member, Ashley Vince. The next thing I’ll be involved in is the Infinite Appeal fashion show on Saturday April 4th. I will be deejaying and setting the atmosphere for the event. I coordinated all the music the models will be walking to on the runway.”

How would you describe your personal style?

“I feel my style is suave. I’m the type of person who believes you should wear what makes you feel comfortable and what makes you feel happy. I don’t pay attention to brands, I just put on  what goes great together.” 

Who are your favorite designers?

“Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Margiela, Christian Louboutin, Tom Ford, and Jimmy Choo.”

What are long term and short term goals you’ve set for yourself?

“My short term goal would be to graduate on time. By the time I’m 21, I want to have an all-black BMW. Long term goals, I want to be successful. I don’t necessarily want to become famous, but I want to be more than that. I want to be really influential.”

What is your definition of success?

“My definition of success would have to be genuine happiness in what you’re doing. Waking up in the morning and going to work and not feeling like you’re at work. I want to live comfortably and definitely put a smile on my mom’s face. It’s such a long-term goal for me. I didn’t come from a very… nice….I haven’t had it all growing up, basically. I want to give back to both my parents.”

If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?

“Kanye West. He inspires me and makes me feel like you can be whatever you want to be in life despite what or where you came from.. and I love his music. The media always portrays celebrities a certain way, but I kinda want to see how it would be firsthand. I’d also like to take a look at his closet and chill with Kim K.”

What words do you live by?

“’The best revenge is massive success’- Frank Sinatra”

What advice do you have for students coming to GSU?

“Ride the wave of life sometimes. Don’t be scared to try new things that will help you discover who you are as a person.”

Georgia State University sophomore. Lover of pretty, shiny things, chai tea lattes, and rainy days.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus