Insecure HBO Trailer
Insecure HBO Trailer
HBO

“Insecure” is Back and Just In Time for Us Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Everyone’s favorite Awkward Black Girl Issa Rae and the rest of the gang are back in the HBO original series, Insecure. With its final season having aired last month, this is the last time our TV screens will be graced by the 30-somethings’ antics.

The show remains a fan favorite because of its realistic portrayal of the hardships and obstacles young adults encounter, whether it be in romantic relationships, friendships or careers.

As the series comes to a close, these professionals are leveling up in all aspects of their life. What’s admirable about them leveling up is seeing the mistakes, time, and risks they’re taking. Oftentimes, we only see the end result of finally achieving better but rarely what the process looked like.

For us seniors, graduation is looming ahead. After walking across that stage, some will continue their education, while some will already have been handed job offers. And some may need more time to truly figure out what step they should take next.

There’s a common question many of us ask ourselves, share: ‘what if this doesn’t work out?’ All of the self-help books and inspirational quotes out there will tell you not to fear failure, adding that it’s healthy and builds character. While I appreciate the sentiments, this is all easier said than done.

The expectations of having a job by a certain time, being married by a certain time, having a certain amount of friends, and looking a certain way, which are all exacerbated by social media, leave us striving for things that were never a part of our purpose. I find that in trying to stay within this timeline, we limit ourselves and will never be fulfilled.

That’s why Insecure, and most notably this past season is so refreshing for people entering a new chapter of their life. These characters are people well out of their undergraduate careers who’ve messed up many times but are still trying to grow. Sure, they’ve grown tired of having to start over at times, but they’re walking proof that it can be done and that it’s never too late to start.

If you want to keep up with each characters’ journey or even watch the show for the first time, catch it every Sunday at 10 pm on HBO.

Faith is a senior political science major and journalism minor at Georgia State University. In her free time, you can count on her either painting, baking, doing her hair, or occasionally playing guitar. From social justice issues to giving advice, read from a variety of topics that she is most passionate about!