The Importance of Good Girlfriends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

They say that you will find your best friends in college. Have you? If so, then there is a good chance that you understand the importance of having a good, solid group of girlfriends to get you through the next several years.

Now, there is no secret formula into finding these girlfriends and there is a chance that you already have them. If that is the case, then great! I find that having these women around you can mean diversity, influence, accountability, sisterhood and overall balance because after all, no one in your squad is the same.

For example, in my “squad,” we have so many different personalities and potential career paths. From an energetic graphic designer, an outgoing future educator, a future business manager, a future OBGYN, and even a future prosthetist. All diverse, all women and all holding one another accountable to get things done.

I speak on accountability heavily because it is so easy to get distracted from your studies. Significant others, parties, work and the occasional naptime all make a dent in our schedules if we do not prioritize correctly. This lesson is something that a college textbook cannot teach you, however, it is one of those lessons that your mom or motherlike figure in your life told you about.

Some call it a lesson in womanhood and some call it growing pains. Trying to prioritize and find that balance can be super hectic and in most cases annoying. Whatever you deem it, you can only learn from trial and error and what better way to experience that than with a few good girlfriends!

College is such a pivotal time in anyone’s life, but finding a way to navigate that with the help of those around you definitely makes the process a lot less tedious. Why you ask? These girlfriends will be there check you when you are wrong, fix your hair when you cannot get to it, keep you up on the tea and be right next to you if anything (and I mean anything) goes down.

Let’s say that you have been struggling with something like deciding on whether to go to a particular party on campus, but you know that you have to complete that study guide you have been avoiding. Maybe it is something more serious like debating on whether or not to accept a job you have been offered because you know that your schedule does not exactly have room for it.

These issues may not sound that big, but like most of us know, the mind of someone in their 20’s can simultaneously be in ten places at once.

Do not fear! That is why your college girlfriends are here! Together we are able to make one another strong without even realizing the influence that we have on one another. Inclusively being an ear to lend or a shoulder to lean can do so much good. Overall knowing that these particular people are there keep you levelheaded (even in the worst cases) is beautiful on its own.

Knowing that you are in your prime really shows you how relevant some people are in your life. These girlfriends will not take up space, but help you to fill voids that you probably never even knew existed. It is in this case that recognizing the company that you keep will help mold you into the person that you were meant to become. You all will share those inside jokes that make you tumble over into joyous tears, and you will have those moments when you will recognize that something is off with your girl just by a glance. It will mean so much. This sistership will mean so much. You to them will mean SO MUCH.

So even if you have not exactly solidified your squad, you too will experience this undefinable joy. Ultimately this is not even something you have to look for or create, but something that will manifest on its own. And on the plus side if you ever decide to tie the knot, you will already have your bridesmaids ready to send you off!

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus