sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Scream, You Scream: Top 11 Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of year! Halloween is here and what better way to bring in the holiday than with a horror movie marathon. We all know about the classics such as Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween, but there’s a variety of scary films to choose from, so why not make your marathon endless! Here are a few movies to check out that will definitely bring some fun fright to the rest of your October.

1. Insidious (2010)

This isn’t your typical house haunting. A demon is trying to take over a child’s body in his sleep. Will this family be able to save their son from the evil souls that are making their way out of the “Further” and into the real world?

2. Paranormal Activity (2007)

If you’re a ghost lover, this movie might just make you question that. A couple decides to record strange things happening around their home. As things start to grow more disturbing, the couple soon seeks professional help.  

3. The Babadook (2014)

For some parents, reading your kid a bedtime story is the norm, but there’s something odd about this particular children’s book. A widowed mother and her misbehaved son decide to read the mysterious pop up book one night but soon realize that “Mister Babadook” is real. Will she be able to save herself and her son from this disturbing entity? 

4. The Conjuring (2013)

Well-known paranormal investigators and demonologists, The Warrens, are asked for help by a family that has moved into a new house. With the strange occurrences going on, they come to realize that there are supernatural forces at work and it is up to The Warrens to stop them. 

5. Evil Dead (2013)

If you’re all about blood and gore, then this movie is definitely worth checking out. A guy and his group of friends decide to take a trip to a secluded cabin as a way to help his sister overcome her drug problem. While there, they stumble upon the “Book of the Dead”, unleashing an evil demon that wants to find itself a host.

6. Sinister (2012)

A crime novel author decides to move his family into a house where the disturbing deaths of several families have taken place. Thinking that this will be his next hit novel, he stumbles upon the footage of each of the murders and tries to uncover the truth of what really happened to the families.

7. It Follows (2015)

After a girl sleeps with her new boyfriend for the first time, she discovers that he has passed a curse onto her that can only be passed through sexual intercourse. Death is pursuing her in the form of a person and she is the only one that can see it. With the help of her friends, they try to find a way to keep her safe in this original story.

8. The Mist (2007)

A father and his son get trapped inside a grocery store as a mysterious fog consumes their town. It is soon discovered that there are giant, man-eating creatures in the fog and this group must find a way to escape. Based off of the novel by the great Stephen King, find out who survives the mist.

9. Orphan (2009)

After losing their child, a couple decides to adopt a young girl from an orphanage. Their new daughter has been involved in a few odd incidents and they are worried that there may be something wrong her. They soon discover that she is hiding a deep, dark secret.

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre  (2003)

In this remake of the classic slasher movie, a group of friends stumble upon an abandoned home and what’s hidden inside will leave them fighting for their lives.

11. Quarantine (2008)

A reporter and her camera-man get stuck inside an apartment building after it has been quarantined due to unknown circumstances. They soon discover the horror that is hidden inside. Will they make it out alive?

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus