Finals season can be the most stressful time of the year. From completing final presentations to final exams, everybody is stretched to their limits. Here are the do’s and don’ts on how to prepare for your finals. 

DO

1. Take breaks between study sessions

Sometimes it’s best to give your mind a quick rest while you’re studying. Studying for too long  can actually hurt you more than it can help you. I would recommend doing The Pomodoro Technique. This technique is a technique that I personally use and would definitely recommend to help you study. 

woman sleeping in bed
Photo by Gregory Pappas from Unsplash

2. Make sure you rest the day before

Rest is very important because you need the energy and the mind power to be able to retain the information you are reviewing. When you are tired you can’t focus and you won’t be able to perform at your best abilities.

3. Start reviewing early 

Don’t start reviewing a day before the final, start at least 3 days before. This will give you enough time to email professors with questions and will give you the time to be able to fully understand what you are reviewing. 

DON’T

1. Stay up all night

I wouldn’t recommend all-nighters. If it’s for a project that you need to finish then that’s fine but for a test this is not the way to go. It’s very important to get rest before your test. You need as much energy and brain power as possible to be successful.

Person in bed at night on computer
Photo by Victoria Heath from Unsplash

2. Don’t wait till the last minute

Don’t allow procrastination to win. Waiting till the night before to study is a big gamble. Yes there are some students who have been successful with this method but I wouldn’t recommend this. Give yourself time to really understand the information.  

Phone with social media apps on screen
Photo by dole777 from Unsplash

3. Don’t have distractions around 

TURN YOUR PHONE OFF! Your phone can be a #1 distraction when trying to focus. Between Text messages and  Social media notifications you will end up scrolling for hours and not completing anything. Leave your phone in another room or at least put it on mute.

I hope these tips help you prepare successfully for your finals. Remember to be confident and you got this. Don’t stress yourself too much.

Amber Johnson is an aspiring editorial/social media editor living in Atlanta, GA. She is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in Marketing. The 21-year-old will be graduating in December 2021. Amber has written for College Fashionista and Official. She enjoys writing articles about lifestyle, fashion, and beauty. In her free time, you can find her either reading, listening to a podcast, or watching Netflix.