This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Despite how much life has changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some routines remain unchanged. Now more than ever, maintaining a clean space and good cleaning habits is important. In Georgia, the pollen count has been quite high recently. For those who struggle with allergies, at least spring cleaning helps with reducing indoor allergens, such as dust. 

Still intimidated by the thought of spending centuries cleaning your apartment or home? Keep reading for some quick tips on making spring cleaning quick, easy, and maybe even fun!

two shelves stacked with plates and bowls of a variety of colors
Brooke Lark | Unsplash

Hold Yourself Accountable

This is the hardest part of spring cleaning: actually finishing. It can be tempting to give up after two minutes of cleaning the kitchen, or decide you’ll just “save the rest” for another day. Finding the motivation for a deep spring cleaning is no easy feat. Using organizational tools such as the reminders, notes or calendar app on your phone will usually do the trick! After five reminders pestering you to finish cleaning the bathroom, you’ll be scrubbing the bathtub in seconds. This is especially crucial if you’re splitting up cleaning tasks amongst a family or roommates. 

Clean Efficiently

Regardless of if you went back home with family, or you’re riding solo in a studio, there’s a few tips that help with the order of when to clean what. Firstly, it’s usually best to start top to bottom. For example, in a kitchen, wiping down the countertops before sweeping, and sweeping before mopping, would be the ideal order. When you do this, it’s easier because the debris/dust will go downward, and it can all be swept or vacuumed at the end. Another general tip when it comes to cleaning order is starting with the biggest tasks first. Dishes, taking out the trash, laundry, are all typical examples. Tasks that are more urgent should always come first!

a person sits crosslegged on the ground folding laundry, including jeans and shirts which sit in piles before them
Sarah Brown | Unsplash

But Most Importantly, Safety First!

Spring cleaning involves lots of cleaning chemicals. Constantly washing your hands, wearing gloves when necessary, and reading the labels for chemical agents are all simple precautions to take! For COVID-19 in particular, be mindful to wipe down the most commonly touched surfaces such as doorknobs, sink handles, fridge door handles and so on. 

With these easy tips, you’ll soon be the next Marie Kondo of your neighborhood or apartment complex! Cheers to spring cleaning!

I'm an applied linguistics major in my junior year at Georgia State. I love writing & learning new things. Stay curious!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus