This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Let’s be honest. 2020 was truly a year to remember. From a ground shaking election to racial protests across the nation to a global pandemic, there have been several opportunities for events such as these to rob anyone of their sanity. Now that we have left 2020 in the past, we can embrace 2021 with open arms and hearts. 

You might be wondering, “What do I do when the past of 2020 is impeding on my fresh start in the new year?”  

I’m glad you asked! Here are five things that you can do to help keep your peace in the new year: 

Black woman on floor colored color glass light lighting sun shine shining rainbow shadows
Photo by Jeremy Bishop from Pexels

1. Turn it off! Don’t be afraid to log out of Twitter, turn off the news or even engage in draining conversations. Take a break from the chaos of the world and breathe. 

2. Retreat to where you find the most support. You do not have to carry the stress of the world alone on your own shoulders. Don’t hesitate to turn to your friends, family or other trusted adults to confide in during trouble times. 

3. Practice gratitude through the hard times. Why focus on the lack thereof when you can focus on the positive? Nothing helps a change of mindset like focusing on the blessings and lessons that shaped you into the person you are today. 

4. Make time for self care. Sometimes, it can be so easy to be caught up in our education, careers, and relationships that we neglect time with ourselves. Instead of having an entire day dedicated towards self care, try to implement certain rituals into your everyday schedule. These routines can range from yoga, reading, a favorite snack, a face mask, a new Netflix show, and even journaling your thoughts for the day. 

5. Learn to be honest, even if it is uncomfortable at first. It can easy to suppress our emotions to avoid rejection from others. However, being honest with yourself  makes it easier to be honest with others as well as establish healthy boundaries with our loved ones. The real ones will appreciate and honor these boundaries, while the rest will separate themselves. Either way, be prepared to stand your ground! 

pink yoga mat with two pink weights and other exercise equipment
Photo by Elena Kloppenburg from Unsplash

While the process of keeping your peace may be easier said than done, there is nothing more rewarding than finding the calm within the storm. I encourage you all to make inner peace a priority in the new year to combat the trials and tribulations that come with life itself. 

be the change you wish to seek. atl | gsu
The GSU chapter of Her Campus