Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Guide to Loving Yourself this Valentine’s Day— and Every Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Before I give you some tips on how to celebrate your self-love day, I want to start off by saying it’s common to get a bit down when you see nothing but cute couples up and down your social media timelines. Maybe you didn’t want to be single for Valentine’s Day and you had the perfect plan on being boo’d up by the 14th of February, or maybe you were in a relationship and it just so happened to end just in time to be single— at the wrong time. Either way, you always have a chance to show love to the person who you should always be showing love to, no matter the holiday— you!

Affirmations

A nice preparation you can do the night before Valentine’s day is place some self-love stickies on your mirror. You can write down all the things you love about yourself such as your favorite features and your best qualities, and you can even add some positive affirmations like, “I am a baddie” because yes you are! When you wake up in the morning, read each sticky note one by one and remind yourself who you are. Everybody needs a reminder sometimes.

woman looking at her reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Wake up and Make up

What’s next? Get cute! Beat your face, slay your hair, and put on an outfit that makes you feel out of this world. It makes it worth it because you’re doing it for YOU! You can take some cute pictures and post them (that’ll definitely make all your ex baes sick), or even better— you can take yourself out on a date (while maintaining CDC guidelines ofc!)

Engin Akyurt via Pexels

Relaxxx

When you’re done taking your selfies or getting back home from your hot date, get into relaxation mode because it’s time for some serious stress relief. Whether you decide to meditate, take a nice bath with candles lit or just put on a nice face mask, do something that makes you feel at ease. During this time, do yourself a favor and put your phone on DND, this is peace that you deserve to have. Don’t rush it or let anyone interrupt it.

Woman shaving her legs in the bathtub
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Even if you don’t follow these exact steps, the point is that you should dedicate this day to yourself. So often we spend all our energy giving love to someone who will be a future ex and never give that same love to ourselves. Let’s put an end to that in 2021. Of course, love in relationships is great, but love in your relationship with yourself should always be deeper. Enjoy your self-love day ladies!

Writing frees my mind.