Friendsgiving on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Now that Halloween is over, it’s time for the real holiday season to begin!

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s anymore? But before we start all of that hype, let’s begin with how you can have the best friendsgiving on a budget. As college students, we may have gone a little overboard on the homecoming turn up or the homecoming spending because we just had to have those shoes to go with that outfit. Or maybe your birthday just passed and the only thing you can find in your pockets are those wristbands from that club or the lashes that you stripped off.

Before you know it, it’s time for you to plan Thanksgiving dinner and you realize that maybe budgeting is the best option. Well luckily, we have some options for you which is centered around friendsgiving. A millennial approach to Thanksgiving where friends gather with dishes that they cook on their own, and knowing college students, we’ll use whatever we have.

1. If you’re cooking a meal potluck style, shop on rollback. Many times, when things are placed on roll back or managers special, it is because the item is no longer being sold by that particular company or because it has so exterior damage. Of course, you want to check the expiration date but nine times out of 10 the product is okay!

Use coupons and special deals on mobile apps. Apps such a Kroger and Target have many mobile deals that their papers or emails do not. Here’s the biggest secret, the more you shop using the mobile app, the more you save. The more you save, the more deals you get. Awesome right?

2. Don’t buy the whole cow! Or don’t buy the whole turkey in this case. Stick with turkey breasts or something that doesn’t cost you an entire check by the pound. Try buying the pieces that people will actually eat or simply don’t buy turkey at all. Friendsgiving is super untraditional, so go for chicken, burgers or duck if that suits you!

When making side dishes, you can’t go wrong with canned. Despite them not being the freshest, they are the more affordable. At a whopping (sometimes) 68 cents a piece, you can feed everyone and then some! Plus there are a number of ways that you can remix a meal. You can bake it, sear it, grill it or fry it! Try different things this time around.

3. When it comes to decor, go to the dollar store. Seriously, the dollar store has everything. If you are really feeling the spirit and the need for decoration, find your nearest dollar store and give yourself a budget of $10 or less. You can definitely make this happen. From pinecones, to faux cranberries, to pine needles to glitter ribbon you can make a DIY project out of everything you find. Not only will guests be impressed but you would have done it on a budget.

4. Have everyone sign up to bring their favorite dish. This can be so fun because even if you have the same dish, it will be cooked a different way! Who knows, maybe the mac and cheese will be better the second time you try it?

There are so many tips to give your friendsgiving the kick that it needs! Try planning one with your close friends every year and see just how much fun it can really be. However, let’s all remember that this holiday season, the best thanks is to give it to those who you love and to have fun doing it!

**All images courtesy of giphy.com**

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!