The Divine Feminine: The Empowerment Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Last month Spotlight Programs Board and the Primary Movement present the Divine Feminine: The Empowerment Series art exhibit which ran from March 4th to  March 28th in the Student Center East Gallery Lounge. 

The exhibit captured the artistic styles of many talented women through different mediums like photography, paintings and collages.

Artwork by Lynn Hatcher, Photo by Lauryn Wellington

On March 6, there was a reception for the exhibit with opening words by Spotlight’s Arts and Culture Director Diamond Bradley.

“This was the Primary Movement’s first event and I wanted to do something that highlighted women especially in the month of March. As a woman myself, I felt that it was really important because we are underrepresented in galleries,” Bradley said. 

The artwork between each artist displayed the diverse talents of those in the exhibit.

Artwork by Avina Duff, Photo by Lauryn Wellington

Avina Duff is a high school student who created art for the exhibit.

“My work is based off emotion. It’s based off a time in your life that’s pivotal and that it helps you shape as a person. The night when I created this I had to sit and think about who I am as a person and how can I take this situation into something that helps me move on in the future,” Duff said. 

Other artists used their artwork to display pivotal moments in their lives.

The artwork on the left was created by Farah Mithani. The artwork on the right was created by Kari Mackey (@karianmackey)

“On my way out of my unhealthy marriage of 16 years, with the bit of baby weight that I hadn’t gotten rid [of], the thought of being naked in front of other strangers freaked me out. I decided to take a nude selfie and paint it in the very opposite of narcissism to embrace who I am and what I have, and now I’m doing that for other women as well,” Artist Kari Mackey says. 

The art gallery was packed the entire opening week as students and onlookers of the exhibit looked from piece to piece. 

“I think people just love seeing the artwork that women make because it has variety to it,” Bradley says.

Artwork created by Emily Duvaris, Photo by Lauryn Wellington

Many onlookers like Georgia State student Heidi Choi found the exhibit to be a nice change of pace for the art world.

“I think everyone should check out the exhibit because it’s always great to see more perspectives of art that you wouldn’t normally get to see in this male-dominated platform,” Choi says. 

Lauryn Wellington is always on the hunt for a good story. Wellington works with Panther Report News in the public relations department as well as a writer for the GSU Her Campus. Wellington hopes to work for the public relations team at [adult swim], but is currently trying to gain more experience through public relations internships. As a first-generation American who family is from Sierra Leone, Wellington has been jumping at every journalism opportunity to thrive in the public relations field. When not working and studying, Wellington enjoys writing poetry and playing the guitar.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus