Career > Her20s

Dear Her Campus GSU, From Your President with Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

My time in Her Campus is like a true love story, I never thought I needed it the way it needed me, but in the end we grew on each other; and thankfully in many ways, it saved me by reviving my faith in leadership.

Dear Her Campus at Georgia State University, you women have made me recognize what sisterhood is at its core. It was not easy running an organization my senior year, but you all made it 100 percent worth it. I never thought that advancing to my career would mean that I had to go through a few things, with a few people to realize my fullest potential. In so many words, I can have the accolades, the leadership position and even the connections, but being in the classroom does not teach you how to react to real life lessons such as managing 40+ young women each semester.

Basically, you all taught me how to boss up.

Source: Drenay Everett Photography

I am forever indebted to our chapter because we are all very different and we are all very complex and while no organization is perfect, I like to think that we are amazing at what we do. There are future journalists, culture cultivators, screen writers, business women, creators and so much more within our chapter that I am certain that I picked the best of the best when sorting through the applications. However, I want to leave you with a few lessons that I learned and that I hope you learn to navigate when the moment arises.

You don’t know everything and you never will…and that is how it should be.

Yes, I said it and I will say it again. It does not matter how smart, degreed, experienced or well versed you are, you do not know everything and you are not supposed to. Let the lessons you learn be authentic because honestly, how else will you learn? Mistakes are inevitable and honestly needed to humble your life, so don’t get down on yourself when you realize that you were given a “life check”. Take it in stride, apply it to an areas of your life and keep moving.

Your collegiate plan won’t always hold up, so be okay with letting go.

Surprise! Your plan didn’t actually go as planned. I am probably the queen of derailed plans but it works out for the best. Keep in mind that nothing in life is perfect and that sometimes, plans fail. Classes fail. People, fail. You are not created to navigate one thing so why would you want to? Yes, I think that you should have some structure, but loosen the grip sis and let me be the one to tell you that it will not always work. You will find yourself stressed out over something that is only temporary anyway, so please, learn how to let go.

Appreciate the relationships you create for the time that its worth.

Ahhhh, relationships. Can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. No matter what type of relationship everyone needs someone and I do not want you to navigate your young life thinking that you can only give half to these relationships because if you do, that is all you will ever receive. Relationships of any kind are not easy and are put in our lives to challenge us, our habits and our thinking. In short, relationships force change that is needed. Do not fight me on this either, because like I said, I know! You are not supposed to leave college the way that you entered, so take in the people around you and filter out those who no longer serve you. Just wait, watch and see.

Love will come, don’t worry.

This is like some unspoken theme but I will say it again. Love will come. The more you look for it, the more you will stumble on things that are not always good for you or meant for you. I’ve been there, wanting that someone to want me back, but the reality is, you cannot make people give you what you need. Love yourself first, it is the only way to break that bondage of needing fulfillment when it is already inside of you. Before you know it, your special “person” will be right there, loving you for who you are. You won’t have to alter yourself for them or adhere to a specific idea, it will be natural and it will be beautiful.

Source: Drenay Everett Photography

Mental health is everything, so listen to your body.

This is obviously my favorite topic because it is something I still deal with. Your mental health is your biggest priority. There are no amount of people, things or places that can he,p you escape from your own realities. Deal with your issues at the forefront and learn more about your mental health. Do you need me days? Are certain relationships and people toxic? Are you ingesting toxicity? Sit with yourself and be honest and then, get the right help. This part of college is never easy but college students are the biggest demographic that experiences metal health disorders. Nonetheless, it will be okay.

You don’t have to be THAT involved on campus, disconnect often.

Do I really have to explain this one? Do not burn yourself out trying to be involved in everything because a person who is everywhere might not always have a clear vision. You do not always have to be at that table nor do you always need to make that meeting. That is just the reality of it. Specifically for my incoming President, VP and Co-CC, not all collabs are needed and some collabs take bit more effort. Be discerning when it comes to not only HCGSU’s time, but your time. It is easy to fall into the entrapment of staying ahead on campus, but if you are doing it from the heart, you will never have that problem.

Save, discern and build your tribe.

Save all of the coins okay! Seriously, college ends quicker than you think and you do not want to be unprepared when life gets real. In the same sense, be mindful. Be mindful of how you spend your time, who you are spending it with and what you plan to do next with it. No, you don’t need to be at all of the networking events on campus, especially if it is not intentional or serving you well. Filter out what is for you and rationalize with yourself to determine if you really need to be there because there is nothing worse than wasted time. Also, bond with people who you can truly bond with, inside and outside of Her Campus because your network is an impression of you whether you realize it or not.

Everything will come together.

At the end of the day, don’t take life that serious. Even when life is seemingly falling apart, everything will come together. It really is not as bad as it seems, but you do have to put up a fight first. There have been so many nights where I have fought sleep to see this organization through and I do not regret it, not one bit. Hone in on each other and hold one another close, because you honestly cannot do it alone. If anything, continue to be there and strengthen the bond that was created when we were charted! You ladies are leading HC to a new level and I, your mom, big sister and home girl can’t wait to see what you do next. Make me proud y’all.

Source

I have never felt more connected to purposeful women until I joined Her Campus at Georgia State University. I have grown, loved, cried and rejoiced because of the many stories that I am sure I will tell for years. This experience is unforgettable, unique and almost untouchable so please, keep growing, keep loving and keep pushing toward the mark because your Editor in Chief, President and Graphic Designer is officially logging out.

HCXO 

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!