This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

I’ve changed more in the months leading up to my birthday than I probably have in my whole life so far. The biggest areas in my life that have changed the most would be my habits, my health and my money. Here are the ways these new changes have been affecting me so far. 

1. My Habits

I noticed leading up to my 21st birthday that I didn’t like to do the same things anymore. I used to be on social media for hours, but now that’s changed for the better. I also used to be so self-critical, but now I encourage and love myself more. This includes body and beauty. 

I’ve found myself also reading more of what you call “self-help” books. Here’s a list of a few books I’m currently reading and plan to read. 

I’ve heard great reviews about all of these books, so I’m excited to see what I’ll learn.

stack of books
Photo by Florencia Viadana from Unsplash

2. My Health

As I get older, I can definitely feel the difference when I don’t care about what I’m putting in my body versus when I do. I’m not a super restrictive eater, but I do make sure to include fruits and vegetables in my diet and not consume so many sweets. I also try not to eat so much fast food. My body just doesn’t feel good when I eat burgers and fries multiple times in the week. I make sure to prioritize my health by making room for fitness. I don’t have a set time for when I exercise. Sometimes it’s in the day, while other times it’s in the evening. It does vary based on my schedule, but I make sure that I do it.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

3. My Money

I’m taking money so much more seriously now than I did before. I’m teaching myself the difference between a need and a want. I’m also teaching myself how to prioritize and save my money.  When I looked at my spending habits before, I realized that I wasted a lot of money between food, clothes and beauty (who hasn’t?). I realized that my money could have gone to a savings account, or it could’ve gone to better things than a Chick-fil-A meal.  I’ve been really big on budgeting, and I’m beginning the process of building credit. Credit is extremely important to me, especially since I plan to move out soon.

Person using laptop holding credit card
Photo by Rupixen.com from Unsplash

These are some of the changes I have made since turning 21. Like I said before, these are the most changes I have ever made in my whole life, and I know that as I get older, more changes will come. It is a part of life, and I’m honestly just embracing it and going with the flow.

Amber is a senior at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University. She is passionately working towards a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing. She is a fast learner who enjoys trying new things and analyzing any problem. She is the Social Media Co-Chair for Her Campus GSU and the VP of Advertising for American Marketing Association GSU Chapter. Amber is currently looking for marketing opportunities in social media, tech, and other related fields. In her free time, you can find her either reading, listening to a podcast, or watching Netflix.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus