Campus Creative: Anya’ Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

During homecoming week, Her Campus GSU had the honor to do a makeup giveaway in collaboration with campus make up artist, Anya’ Jackson. Our winner Sinclaire Johnson (@sinclaireelise on Instagram) shared with us just how beautiful she felt as she stepped into the homecoming ball on Thursday, October 19 at the Fernbank Museum. In case you missed out on the giveaway or Anya’s skills, we have it all detailed below just for you. Check it out!

Name: Anya’ Jackson

Major: Business Marketing

Classification: Freshman

Where are you from?

New Orleans, LA

What inspired you to do makeup?

My mom used to get her makeup done so often and her transformations always made me fall in love. Around the same time, YouTube tutorials started getting popular so I dived in.

How long have you been doing make up?

I started when I was a freshman in high school and now I’m a freshman in college. I’m not good at math :)

Is there a special moment that you can remember because of make up?

The first time I did a disabled person’s makeup. Her story was so inspiring and I felt honored to do her makeup on her special day.

What is the ultimate goal for you as an artist?

To grow my business to the point where I won’t have to be in the working field anymore. Making money in my sleep!

Do you eventually want to take on celebrities as clients? Why or why not?

Eventually of course yes! Celebrities have so much exposure when can lead to more clientele, money,etc.

As a GSU student, how do you feel about opening up new doors with this being such a huge network and clientele pool?

At first I was excited but it has been quite a shock for me. I feel like a lot of college students do their own makeup and I kind of fear that they don’t need me. It’s hard to get yourself out there when your new and a bit socially awkward but I have high hopes for the years to come.

*Speed round* 

Best products to use if you’re on a budget?

L.A. Girl and Nyx! Many people only know L.A. Girl for their concealers but they have foundations too! A very wide range of shades too! Along with their setting (baking) powder. Nyx has everything you need for primers, brows, lashes, and lips!

Favorite MUA?

Fresh Face Honey! Please look her up!

The best lipstick you’ve worn this year?

Ruby Woo. The most classic red lip that will never be worn out.

One item you can’t go without?

Lashes!

Pictured above is Her Campus GSU raffle winner Sinclaire Johnson at the homecoming ball.

Anya’ also added that for the month of October she will be giving free makeovers for breast cancer survivors and those currently effected. She will also be hosting a makeup class to teach the basics of makeup and an everyday look for those who are interested. A $10 raffle for a FREE one on one makeup lesson is currently being advertised on her social media account. Anya’ has an email list where she sends out other weekly and monthly specials so if you are interested do not hesitate to contact her! 

Anya’ works at Signature Stylz salon in Douglasville as well as Hous 11 Glam Bar in Smyrna. You can make appointments with her at either location. Every now and then, for an event she plans to do makeup at school so feel free to ask when you see this beauty around! If you already haven’t, be sure to follow Anya’ on IG @amatangymakeup or contact her via phone at (504) 606-1852! Anya’ also has a booking site that you can find here.

**All images courtesy of Cydney Rhines, Anya’ Jackson and Sinclair Johnson**

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!