Black Women In History: Rihanna’s Philanthropic Legacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, a time to commemorate, honor and learn from women all over the world. However, Black women have proven to be an unwavering powerhouse throughout the nation, despite not always being individually recognized as such. Robyn “Rihanna” Fenty is a perfect embodiment of what it means to be a Black woman and stand in that power.

black placard stating on \"WELL BEHAVED WOMEN RARELY MAKE HISTORY\" on white table
Gabrielle Rocha Rios/Unsplash
Rihanna was born in the Barbados parish of Saint Michael in Feb. 20 of 1988. Although she began singing before she was discovered, it was her 2007 release of Good Girl Gone Bad that sent her into pop stardom. Every year after, she released hit singles such as Umbrella in addition to full length projects like her emotionally inspiring Rated R, and thus allowing her to become the youngest artist to achieve ten number one singles.

From there, Rihanna’s inspirational musical journey opened up many doors for her as she progressed through the industry. She has been on the cover of over 70 magazines. Rihanna has also designed many collections in collaboration with various brands such as Balmain, Dior and Puma.

“Aside from her music achievements, Rihanna is [a] bonafide business woman with multiple entrepreneurial ventures,” her biography states.

After the release of her final album Anti in Jan. 2016, Rihanna continued to pursue the many business ventures fans know of today like Fenty Beauty, her cosmetics line, as well as her lingerie and loungewear collection, Savage X Fenty.

According to Highsnobiety’s timeline of Rihanna’s pivotal moments, she has been navigating between pop stardom and “fashion powerhouse” since 2011. However, it is her philanthropic pursuits that has established the longevity of her career all over the world.

“From the start of her career in 2006, she has devoted her spare time to revolutionizing education for girls in underdeveloped countries, actively engaged in combating the stigma against AIDS, raising awareness for the global water crisis and promoting inclusivity,” an article from Borge Magazine states.

In 2006, Rihanna founded her first charity, the Believe Foundation, which aimed to help terminally ill children by providing them with holistic aid which included critical, emotional, educational, financial and medical support. This denoted the beginning of the journey she has taken to contribute to society globally.

Rihanna has always found innovative and fashion forward ways to give back to those in need. In 2008,  she collaborated with H & M to raise awareness about AIDS. She used her fashionista ideals again in 2013, where her Viva La Glam Lipstick campaign with MAC Cosmetics raised over 60 million for those affected by HIV.

In addition to her work with the AIDS epidemic, Rihanna also involved herself in the global water crisis. In 2011, she became the ambassador for UNICEF’s Tap Project that was created to raise awareness about the lack of clean water around the world.

Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Education is also another motivating factor in her philanthropic journey. In 2016, she formed an alliance with the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and Global Citizen to better address and advocate for the global education crisis.

In 2018, Rihanna was the keynote speaker at the Global Partnership for Africa Conference in Senegal. The event raised $2 billion to fund global education.

Rihanna also funded a scholarship program to help citizens from outside countries such as Brazil, Barbados, Cuba, Haiti, Grenada, Guyana and Jamaica achieve a better education in the United States.

Her most current and personal charity to date is the Clara Lionel Foundation, which she founded in 2012 and named after her grandparents in Barbados.

“Today, CLF supports groundbreaking and effective education, health and emergency response programs around the world. With the voices of Rihanna and her fans, CLF also engages in global advocacy with the goal of improving the quality of life for young people everywhere,” their website states.

After being named Havard’s humanitarian of the year in 2017, it is clear that Rihanna’s cultural influence, impact, and advocacy will be documented for years to come as her reign continues to expand.

Rihanna continues to inspire Black girls and women everywhere to follow their dreams and stand in the power of being themselves. Throughout her ongoing journey, she has never forgotten where she came from, and this principle is present in everything she does.

Even though her journey came with hardship, she never stopped striving to achieve her dreams and made an active effort to encourage others to follow their own as well.

Rihanna navigates the world as a changemaker, doing more for the masses than most, like a true leader would. Rihanna for president in 2024, anyone?

Daniella Johnson has literally driven her interviewee all around Atlanta just to get a story. As an upcoming journalist, Daniella has worked for award winning student media such as The Signal. She currently works at Georgia State’s student radio station WRAS 88.5 FM and proudly produces her own weekly R&B show. She is also an active member of her university’s chapter of the National Association of Black Journalist. In the upcoming 2020-2021 academic year she will be interning at Ryan Seacrest Studios at the Children’s Hospital of Atlanta. Upon graduating college Daniella hopes to attend graduate school for her masters degree. Afterwards, she wants to write and/or produce digital media for major publications and hopes to become a successful journalist in the future. When she’s not finding stories or catching up on the latest news, you can find her at a concert enjoying the large music scene Atlanta has to offer.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus