This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It has taken decades for makeup companies to start creating more inclusive foundations for people of color. There is still a continuous fight for visible inclusivity among all makeup brands. There have been mishaps of makeup brands excluding people of color but these highlighted individuals have made it possible for this to never happen again.

Jackie Aina

Photo by Youtube

For all who don’t know, Jackie Aina is an American beauty Youtuber. She advocates for the visibility for African-Americans in the makeup industry. She has recently collaborated with Too Faced to extend their Born This Way foundation shades to reach darker complexions. This foundation has now reached 35 shades that reach different skin tones/undertones.

Alissa Ashley

Photo by Youtube

In July 2018, Beauty YouTuber Alissa Ashley partnered up with NYX Cosmetics to help extend the Can’t Stop Won’t Stop foundation to now a 45 shade variety. This is rarely seen in foundations because typically foundation is of 40 shades. Ashley was able to help find middle or in-between shades by mixing colors together to get that ideal shade many of us can never find at the beauty store.

Rihanna

Photo by Fenty Beauty

Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty makeup line launched in September 2017. Since then, Fenty has earned approximately $72 million in media value in just a month. She’s even broken the barrier of the average 40 shades for a foundation. Fenty has a range of 50 shades (yes, this is happening) that even includes shades for people who are Albino.

Yara Shahidi

Photo by Bobbi Brown

A new face for makeup, Yara Shahidi, the 19-year-old actress best known for her role on ABC’s Black-Ish and Freeform’s Grown-Ish is now the newest brand ambassador for Bobbi Brown. The makeup line is now extending their foundation for more inclusive shades and Shahidi is the face of it all.

Balanda Atis

Photo from Working Mother (L’Oreal USA)

Balanda Atis is the chemist and manager for L’Oreal. She has been changing the makeup game for decades. She set off on a mission in 2005 to measure women’s skin tones and has since developed dozens of makeup shades for people who have deeper skin tones.

Now in 2019, she has been promoted to Manager of L’Oreal’s Multicultural Beauty Lab where she oversees L’Oreal’s global cosmetics lab and develops new shades for diverse skin tones.

All of these beauty influencers are changing the game and so many ways! There is a lot in store for the future moving toward a more inclusive makeup industry.

My name is Maliyah and I am a journalism major with a concentration in public relations at GSU. I'm an aspiring journalist with a passion for writing like no other. I enjoy taking pictures and writing for my personal blog. I'm also Vice President for GSU's Alliance for Sexual and Gender Diversity.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus