This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Long gone are chemical relaxers that will damage your beautiful kinky and coily hair. Whether you want to rock your natural hair or use protective styles to let your hair grow, check out the styles down below to find your next hairstyle.

1. Cornrows

Photo by nappy from Pexels

Cornrows can be as simple as a straight-back style, or as intricate as Beyonce’s famed lemonade braids. Add pops of color in your hair to make a statement. Weave small braids between larger braids, or braid a bold pattern into your hair. The choices are endless.

2. Box Braids

Photo by Paula Lavrador from Pexels

Box braids get their name from the square-shaped pattern they leave in your hair once the braiding process is over. Although these braids leave a square-shaped in your hair, they will leave you looking anything but square. After you get your box braids done, everyone is going to compliment you.

3. Au Naturel

Photo by Guilherme Almeida from Pexels

Say it with me: NO MORE HEAT DAMAGE. Embrace your natural curl pattern to protect your hair from damage caused by excessive use of heat from flat irons and curling wands. Use flexi rods and twist outs to achieve curly hairstyles or stretch out your hair. Going natural is not easy, but once you find the perfect hair routine, your hair will thank you.

4. Senegalese Twists

Photo by Ogo from Pexels

The woven pattern in these twists is mesmerizing. Everyone needs to try Senegalese twists at least once because they will make you look like a goddess! Other hairstyles similar to these twists are marley and havana twists– perfect for a more natural look.

5. Short braids

Photo by Dellon Thomas from Pexels

Short braids are a great choice when you don’t want the weight of long braids. Just make sure that your ends are ideal. When the ends are fastened with a rubber band, it allows the hair to fan out in the shape of a makeup brush. When the ends are burned they are still nice, but they form a point which can snag on clothing. Whatever you do, just embrace your cute, short hair.

6. Micro Braids 

Photo by Karabo Mdluli on Unsplash

Micro braids are a curse and a blessing. It can take you an entire day to get them done, but you will get out of the chair as a new person. These braids are fierce, but the time-consuming process will test your willpower and your butt’s patience. Enter at your own will, but the results might change your life.

7. Faux Locs

Photo by Oscar Obians on Unsplash

Faux locs are so easy to get done and take off. Cornrow your hair and then use a crochet needle to weave in the premade locks. If you want more hair movement, create individual braids throughout your hair. After that, use the crochet needle to pull the hair underneath the individual braids. Then braid the hair to hide the individual braids inside of the crochet hair. If this sounds a little confusing watch this video tutorial.

8. Tribal Braids

Photo by Etty Fidele on Unsplash

Tribal braids are a beautiful statement, and they come in multiple styles. Take a look and see which tribal braids will fit best with you. Add accessories to make your braids stand out.

Don’t limit yourself to only one hairstyle. When it’s time to touch up your braids, go for a different style and/or color to experiment with your look. Black hair is not confined to looking a particular way, so why should you be?

Lauryn Wellington is always on the hunt for a good story. Wellington works with Panther Report News in the public relations department as well as a writer for the GSU Her Campus. Wellington hopes to work for the public relations team at [adult swim], but is currently trying to gain more experience through public relations internships. As a first-generation American who family is from Sierra Leone, Wellington has been jumping at every journalism opportunity to thrive in the public relations field. When not working and studying, Wellington enjoys writing poetry and playing the guitar.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus