The Best Ways to Manage a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

For many students, college is a time to explore plenty of new activities and interests. When combined with school work, part-time jobs, and internships, these activities can quickly lead to burnout, mentally and physically. Here are some essential tips to help keep your schedule intact while keeping your health at the forefront of your college experience.

Invest in a Quality Planner

Planners are essential in keeping all of your thoughts, to-do lists, and class assignments in order. It may be tempting to pick up a dollar store agenda, but those usually have very small pages and no room to write. Instead, find a planner that you’ll enjoy using every day. Target has very cute, affordable planners with lots of space for under $15!

Take Advantage of Your Phone’s Built-In Calendar

Writing things down is one way to remember commitments, but having your whole calendar on you takes it one step further. With your phone’s built-in calendar function, you can add in events as they come up, and plan for any possible conflicts.

There’s An App For That

There are lots of apps that help with organizing your life. Some differ between Apple and Android, but a few go tos include:

Evernote: Great for on the go memos, clipping articles, setting reminders, and more!

Trello: Perfect for organizing large projects and groups into smaller parts

Mint: Keeps track of bank accounts and bills to make sure you never have a late payment or overdraft fee!

Learn When To Say “No”

Sadly, we can’t do everything that we’d like, nor should we. Your friends will understand if you can’t hit up another party, and your boss won’t fire you if you don’t pick up an extra shift. Taking time to sit down and study or to just watch Netflix is perfectly fine.

Ask for help!

If at any time you feel overwhelmed and burned out by the events of your life, know it’s okay to ask for help. GSU offers a counseling center available free of charge to students, so if you feel like you need support navigating your college lifestyle, please stop by for more information!

Utilizing these tips and tricks will make sure that not only can you efficiently keep to your busy, fulfilling schedule but also that you stay healthy during the process.

My name is Dymond and I'm a marketing major at GSU. When I'm not writing, I'm off somewhere curled up reading a book, taking pictures of my dog, and binge-watching Queer Eye and American Horror Story on Netflix. I also write for my own lifestyle blog for college women of color and I'm a member of the Theta Beta chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus