Avien Gober ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If there’s one thing you could easily point out about this Campus Celebrity, it is how much he loves GSU. You could ask anyone on campus and they would all say he has one of the biggest hearts, is a hard-worker, and does everything with a smile. If you haven’t met him yet (and you should), get to know a little bit more about him and why he’s bringing his Panther pride to his career after college.

Name: Avien Gober

Hometown: Gainesville, GA

Age: 21

Classification: Junior

Major: Political Science, Journalism minor

Why did you choose GSU as the college you wanted to attend?

“Originally, I did not want to go to Georgia State University. I had not done any research about the school, nor did I know anything about it. I always wanted to go to UGA; I wanted to be a good Georgia boy, and go red and black, and cheer Go Bulldogs, and all of that. Once I gave Georgia State a chance during Incept I knew that I was going to fall in love with the school, all of the services that it had to provide to the students, as well as the city of Atlanta. It’s one of the best decisions that I’ve made in my life.”

What do you plan to do with your major?

“Actually, I really can’t do a lot with it because of the experiences and the involvement that I’ve had on campus. Since I am a part of Spotlight Programs Board and have been dealing with Student Leadership and Development on campus, it really has shown me that my passion is for students, helping them become better and helping them provide for their community. I want to go to graduate school for Student Affairs, so I can leave an impact the same way my fellow bosses and fellow mentors had on me during my undergraduate career at GSU.”

You’re very involved on campus, do you mind listing all of your positions?

“Sure! Currently, I am Membership Director for Spotlight Programs Board, I am the President of Wishmakers on Campus, I’m also a Campus P.A.L.S. Freshmen mentor, and I also do active volunteer work in my community. For the upcoming school year, I will be Vice President of Spotlight Programs Board.”

Congratulations on becoming the incoming Vice President of Spotlight! What are you looking forward to the most next year in your new position?

“I am looking forward to being able to have a personable experience, and being able to develop the committee members in Spotlight. The committee members are a very intricate part of Spotlight, and they are a part of making our events and our success be as great as it is. I want to make sure that we are developing them into their full potentials, so that way we can have them either apply for the board, or just get them more prepared as adults once they graduate and get out into the real world. People are my passion, so I just want to help as many people as I can.”

Who or what inspires you to do everything you’re doing while at GSU?

“I’ve always had a motto: ‘if you are a successful product of your environment, then you should do whatever you can to make sure your environment continues to reproduce successful people.’ Georgia State gave me an opportunity, a platform, to be successful and to showcase my talents, and basically make me a better leader. I want to make sure that I’m doing the same thing so I can be an inspiration to future generations and future Panthers to get their talents, voices, and leadership development acknowledged. Also, my grandparents have been a very intricate part in my life. They raised me, and they didn’t have to raise me, but the fact that they did means everything. I don’t know if I will ever be able to make as much money as I want to repay them, but I know that they want me to be successful and try my hardest, and that’s what I’m doing. I just want to make them proud at the end of the day; everything that I do, I do for them. I’m using this opportunity as best as I can for those people who have sacrificed so much for me.”

What advice would you give to incoming Freshmen?

“Get involved. Getting involved on campus will really help you academically, socially, and personally. I know it was probably one of the greatest decisions I made, besides going to GSU, to get involved. It actually helped my GPA rise, it gave me new insight and opportunities on campus, and it also made me develop life-long friendships with a lot of people that are in organizations. It can also help you find out who you really are. You may come to campus and have a mindset of wanting to major in one thing, but once you get involved, it can show you what your passions are and you could end up changing your major. Be involved, and explore the opportunities that are given to you. It will truly help you make some of the greatest decisions in your collegiate career.”

Where do you see yourself in five years?

“In five years, I see myself not only having a Bachelors Degree, but also having a Masters Degree in Student Leadership or Student Affairs. I would like to be employed at a large University. I would love to come back to Georgia State, but if not, I want to work at a University in the city of Atlanta as an advisor in the programming or student leadership department. Ultimately, after my Masters, I just want to jump right into the field and start helping students as best as possible.”

When you’re not on campus, what do you like to do for fun.

“I love going home and spending time with my brother and baby sister. They are the loves of my life, and any moment that I get I try to go back home. I also love going to the park, swimming, basically being outdoors. I am from the country, so I love being outdoors. Just exploring everything around me and spending time with my family.”

How would others describe you in one word?

“Big-hearted.”

Do you binge watch shows, or have any show obsessions you like to watch?

“Yes! I don’t know how long I can make the list, but I am an avid watcher of reality TV. I love Empire, SpongeBob SquarePants, Law & Order SVU, Martin, The Wayans Brothers, Chopped, and Being Mary Jane. The list goes on.”

Who is your celebrity crush?

“It would have to be between Taraji P. Henson and Gabrielle Union. I can’t decide on one.”

Ashley Drayton is an alumna of Georgia State University, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Since being involved with Her Campus, she was co-founder and president of the GSU chapter, former chapter advisor of 5-8 college chapters, and wrote as a national contributing writer. Her dream job/career is to become a top writer, editor, blogger.