Atlanta’s Own Two-9 Performs at The Masquerade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Two-9, Atlanta’s own rap collective, returned to Atlanta on February 21st, for their first Atlanta show after releasing their latest mixtape “B4FRVR.” B4FVR is Two-9’s first project after being signed to Interscope through Mike Will Made It’s label “EarDrummers.” Two-9 is no stranger to Georgia State. Many students have listened to their music while they were still independent artists. Some have even brushed shoulders with them at local bars near campus.

Her Campus GSU got the chance to sit down with Two-9 to discuss various topics, ranging from the inspiration behind their latest project, to what makes their Atlanta sound so unique.

What Does Two-9 stand for?

“It stands for 2009. There’s no crazy meaning behind it. It’s the year we met, or the year we decided to make it a thing.”

What sets you apart from other Atlanta artists?

“We’re not trying to be successful. We just make music.”

Has the creative process changed for you all since being signed?

“Not at all. It really hasn’t changed yet. I think because Mike is like our homeboy. Like the last song on our mixtape is like 3 years old. Mike understood our sound. They don’t really want us to change.”

What’s been the best thing about touring?

“For your job to be just having a good time. That’s the worst thing too.”

What’s your most cherished musical memory?

“Utah. We didn’t know there were going to be 60,000 people out there. It was like Centennial Olympic Park, packed. It was magical. Every artist should experience it.”

Interviewing Two9 was a great experience. The room was filled with so much energy and personality. Each member was extremely humble, and their perspective on the music industry was refreshing. Two9 is a rap collective including Curtis Williams, Johnny & Dave of FatKidsBrotha, and Ceej & Jace of RetroSushi. You can find their latest mixtape B4FRVR on HotNewHipHop.

Chinelo Okona is a senior marketing major at Georgia State University. As an aspiring couturier, Chinelo enjoys writing, blogging, sewing, and fashion photography.