Atlanta Meets Diane von Furstenberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Her Campus GSU got the opportunity to attend the DVF store opening at Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta, GA. The room reeked of great vibes and positivity as Atlanta’s elite mixed and mingled, while shopping the latest collection. Among the esteemed guests was the host of the evening, DVF’s Brand Ambassador, Brittany Hampton. You may remember Brittany Hampton from E!’s “House of DVF,” as she competed week to week to achieve the global brand ambassadorship. She welcomed all of the guests with warm smiles, strutting a DVF mini dress with a matching trench coat.

Campus Contributor, Ashley, and I got a chance to ask Brittany a couple of questions about DVF, and she gave great advice for Collegiettes who want to work in the fashion industry.

Why bring DVF to Atlanta?

“This a huge metropolitan city with beautiful women & successful women. One of the things about DVF is that she loves to empower women, and Atlanta is that city. You girl’s don’t just dress up as Sunday’s best, you girls dress up every day. Our designs are things you girls need.”

What advice would you give to African American women who aspire to work in fashion?

“It is tough, but you can’t call it tough, and you can’t allow yourself to say that it is tough, you have to be able to just do it. You just have to bring it. Don’t ever get look at yourself and say we’re [black] so it’s harder for us. Yes, it is, but you have to be able to take your skin color off , and realize that you can do it too.”

The spirit at the store opening was infectious. Check out the photos we captured while sifting through the spring collection pieces.

Campus Correspondent, Ashley Drayton, pictured with Global Brand Ambassador, Brittany Hampton! 

Chinelo Okona is a senior marketing major at Georgia State University. As an aspiring couturier, Chinelo enjoys writing, blogging, sewing, and fashion photography.