This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The semester is picking up speed and we’re trying to keep up before we end up getting left behind. Before leaving your dorm or heading out for your morning commute, don’t forget to back your bag with the essentials for a day in the life of a college student. Here are seven things you will want to have in your bag for a day on campus: 

1. A reusable water bottle is a simple staple that you didn’t know you needed until you have one.
  2. One-ply tissue paper and paper towels are torture that I don’t wish on anyone’s nose, grab some facial tissues
  3. It’s 85-90 degrees outside, which means it’s -25 degrees in the library and some classrooms, pack a spare jacket in your bag.
  4. Keeping a small umbrella in your bag at all times in this Atlanta weather will bring you relief—specially when it’s raining and you have 15 minutes to get from Classroom South to Aderhold.
  5. American horror story: you get a “20% Battery Remaining” notification on your phone, but you still have three more classes to get through with NO CHARGER!
  6. You do not want to be stuck on the shuttle listening to all-day traffic without headphones! Nevertheless, count on your daily playlist to get you through a full day of classes. 
  7. Stop looking in the deep abyss you call your backpack, your lip gloss or chapstick aren’t in there.

We’ve all been there! The one day you forget to pack something and you ending you need it—it’s the worst. Pack your bag the night before with these essentials to make sure you have everything you need. This way if you wake up late or you’re pressed for time in the morning, you will still have everything in your bag and ready to go.

The GSU chapter of Her Campus
Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.