etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Enjoy Your Spring Break Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Even though it is spring break, it doesn’t mean you have to take a trip to enjoy your escape. Some college students will be relaxing in familiar surroundings by going on a staycation, which is a vacation spent in their dorm or back home. If you are a staycation goer, you are not alone. Here are five ways to make the most of your spring break staycation experience.

1. Watch Television Shows and Movies

With streaming websites like Netflix and Redbox locations in front of your local grocery stores, it is hard not to stay entertained during your staycation. If you don’t know what to watch, the third season of “House of Cards”, throwback episodes of “Powerpuff Girls”, and “Hawaii Five-O” are now on Netflix. Redbox also recently added “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I”, “Divergent”, and “Horrible Bosses 2” to their selection. All you need now is some popcorn.

2. Catch Up on Sleep

Sleep is hard to come by while being in college and us students know the struggle firsthand. However, because it is spring break, allow yourself to unwind and get the rest you’ve been missing. Has the semester been so stressful that you have trouble sleeping? Try listening to relaxing ambient sounds, like beaches or forests, or take the old school approach and count sheep.

3. Explore the Town

Even though you are in your hometown, it doesn’t mean you can’t sightsee. Check out your city’s tourism website for popular places to visit. If you are on a budget, you can walk through the park or window shop in the mall free of charge. Plus, it might just become one of your regular hangout spots.

4. Do School Work

Studying is not the most entertaining way to spend your spring break, but it is the most productive. Turning off the TV, taking a break from social media, and getting in a quiet area can help set the mood for studying. Websites like Quizlet, a flashcard creating platform, can also help facilitate the studying process. Trust us, doing the work now will be worth it in the long run.

5. Complete a Goal

Have you been wanting to learn a new recipe, or did you want to finish reading the last installment of Divergent? This break is the time to do it. Carrying out your goal begins with you. Set aside time in the day to step away from your laptop or TV, and work towards the goal. Once it is completed, you can then share what you learned with your friends.

We only have spring break once a year. By using these tips, your spring break staycation will be just as relaxing and entertaining as a vacation. Enjoy!

Lauren Booker is a journalism major concentrating in print at Georgia State University. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, she also works as the associate news editor at The Signal newspaper at Georgia State. After graduation, she hope to continue writing for print and online publications.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus