5 Lessons to Learn From The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Whether you hate it or love it, we know you’ve heard all about it: The Bachelor. Yes, the unrealistic reality show that has been serving us cringe worthy romance week after week. Whether you watch it to find the contestants find love, or just to sit back and laugh, there are some serious lessons we can learn from the show.

ABC/Craig Sjodin

1. First Impressions Are Everything

First appearances on The Bachelor are so important. So much so, that there’s a “first impression” rose for the girl who has the best first encounter with the Bachelor. Some girls show up on a horse. Others come with a pizza. My point is that first impressions mean everything. It’s how you’ll be remembered.

ABC/Craig Sjodin

2. Mean Girls Never Win

Every season, there’s drama. I guess when you’re all competing for the love of the same person, that can be expected. And yeah, it may be interesting to watch, but these girls never win. Matt, the season 25 Bachelor, has definitely shown us that bullies never win and being mean is never cute. 

Keep in mind: being mean may be funny or fun in the moment, but it gets you nowhere except the losing seat. 

Matt and Victoria on The Bachelor
ABC/Craig Sjodin

3. Check If You’re an Ugly Crier Before Going on National Television

Okay, this one is funny. But seriously, check yourself out in the mirror before you bawl your eyes out on national television. Not checking could have you becoming a crying meme like 99% of The Bachelor contestants.   

ABC/Craig Sjodin

4. Think Outside of The Box When It Comes to Dates

The Bachelor gives us serious date goals. Why go on another movie date when you could go for a helicopter ride over the city? Your dates don’t have to be so extravagant, but they could use a little pizazz. Have some fun and get creative.

Courtesy of ABC/Craig Sjodin

5. Don’t Be Afraid to Fall in Love

As silly as the show seems, and whether it’s complete reality or not, you’ve got to admit that being fearless when it comes to love can be inspiring. Embracing the fear of love is one of the best parts. Maybe the unknown is what makes it so exciting. If you knew love would work out every time, would it be as fun? 

What may be our favorite corny reality show, also gives us some real life gems. Maybe next Monday, you’ll look at The Bachelor a little bit differently.

Moya Leung is a journalism major with a concentration in public relations and a marketing minor at Georgia State University. Her interests include social media management, fashion, public relations, writing & taking pictures. Her goal is to be a Public Relations Director or Social Media Manager for a major fashion company. If it has to do with fashion, marketing or socializing, she's there. Enjoy some of her writings here and keep up with her on Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus