This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Everyone knows there is nothing more powerful than a black female. We often forget how wonderful and amazing women of color are, but it isn’t your fault. Our whole social studies curriculum was based on white men saving the day. Even in today’s society black women are not respected as they need to be, even though most of today’s fashion and slang came from African American women. The under-representation of black women in the music industry is a topic that hasn’t properly been resolved, and we can all take small steps to fixing the problem by streaming music by black artists. Not to mention, black female artists have been killing the music industry since the beginning of time, and we should pay homage to them.

1. Nicotine’s Famous Honey

This Brooklyn based neo-soul singer combines elements of jazz and modern pop. You can’t help but feel calm and nostalgic while listening to her music. Nicotine’s Famous Honeys’ debut album titled “An Open Letter,” tells the story of love and heartbreak from the perspective of a woman of color. Her songs “Bantu Knots and Boudain” and “Tired” are both songs which hold the strong theme of womanism.

picture via instagram

2.  Jorja Smith

This London based artist is the new queen of modern soul. Jorja Smith is a Grammy-nominated artist that sings about love, happiness and even heartbreak. Smith speaks to young women through her music. In songs like “Blue Lights”  and “On My Mind,” she warns women about the danger of relying on men for validation. You will instantly feel a burst of confidence and self-love when listening to Smith’s music.

Gif credit

3.  Noname

Do you remember the peaceful and serene summers of your childhood? Don’t you wish you could go back to a simpler time when all you had to worry about was having enough money for the ice cream truck? Noname, a rapper from Illinois, raps about being a child facing adversity. Noname’s music is very satisfying and fulfilling. Stream her latest albums “Telefone” and “Room 25.”

Photo Credit: Culture

We can all contribute to helping black female artists by streaming their music or even following them on Instagram. A lot of us are listening to music throughout the day anyway, listen with a purpose.

Jamaican. 90s fashion lover. Premed major.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus