14 Ways to Get Over a Long Term Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Cinderella, Ariel, and Snow White are Disney princesses that met their Prince Charming and lived happily ever after. While most of us dream about our happy endings, sometimes our relationships do not always go as planned. Moving on from a long term relationship is not always easy. It may be hard to let go of all of the memories and dreams you shared with that special person, but at some point you have to move on. Social media can be very misleading with all of the post and statuses about relationships, but do not let those sappy posts bring you down. While being in a relationship may seem ideal, in reality everyone is not in a relationship. As a new single individual, you have to move on, learn how to love yourself, and live your life to the fullest. Yes, it may be hard to let go, but there is no need to worry because these fool-proof tips will have you forgetting about your ex in no time!

1) Have a pity party. Take a day or two to listen to sad songs, watch romantic movies, or just cry. Moving on from a long term relationship is definitely not easy. Remember you are human and you have emotions. It is okay to let it all out, but do not let this exceed more than a week! Remember life goes on.

2) Take out the trash. Get rid of all those little reminders that may leave you reminiscing about your ex. Yes ladies, it is time to get rid of those gifts, old photos, and his smelly old sweatshirt. It’s time to make some new memories.

3) Avoid all love songs, romance movies and novels. These things will only bring you back down memory lane. Instead, watch an action movie, listen to happy songs, or read a mystery novel. Sorry girls, but watching The Notebook is definitely NOT a good idea.

4) Sever all ties. Sorry ladies but it is time to unfriend/unfollow him on all social media networks. Stalking your ex and staying updated on what he is doing will only prevent you from moving on.

5) No communication. Yes, this means no more responding to those random texts, phone calls, and most importantly no more hook ups!

6) Get out more. Staying inside will only contribute to your sadness. Perhaps you should plan a mini-vacation, go to the beach, have a movie night with your family or plan a girls’ night out with your best friends.

7) Create a better you. While you may be listening to sad songs and binge eating Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, use your spare time as an opportunity to go the gym and work out! Go shopping and spice up your wardrobe, change your hair or spend some extra time applying your makeup. After all, who would not want to run into their ex looking like a supermodel!

7) Travel. Being in a relationship can be time consuming, but now that you are single it is time to tour the world or at least your local city. Who knows traveling may allow you to meet someone new or make a new friends.

8) Build a support group. Sometimes you may need friends or family to talk to. It is always healthy to vent, just try not to overdo it.

10) Get a new hobby. Find new activities that you like or maybe continue to do the things you enjoy. The best way to move on is to replace the time you spent with your ex with something else you love.

11) Meet new people. The world is huge and filled with people from a variety of places. Take some time to meet new people and build new friendships. You never know what they could turn into.

12) Get to know yourself. Take some time to figure out the things you like. Sometimes relationships distract you from getting to know yourself. People often to tend to get caught up in “we” instead of focusing on their own goals or aspirations.

13) Do not go back. Remember your relationship ended for a reason. No matter what keep moving forward. Do not hinder the possibility of a new relationship by revisiting an old dysfunctional one.

14) Listen to Big Sean’s song, I Don’t F–K With You.

Acacia Williams is a senior at Georgia State University. Her pursuit is to achieve a Bachelors of Science Degree in Biology with a concentration in Physiology. Although science is her calling during her recreational time she enjoys traveling, writing poetry, painting, reading magazines and spending time with her friends. Her interest in fashion, beauty, love and passion for writing lead her to become a journalist for Georgia State University’s chapter of Her Campus.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus