10 Songs for When You Want to go Back to 2010

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Without question, the year 2010 was an exciting time to be alive. The topic of Twilight’s Edward vs. Jacob was a nonstop heated debate, iPods were in, and Barack Obama graced our country as president.

Now that times have changed, so have our responsibilities as college students. We’ve traded complaining about nap time for begging for more hours of sleep, reading children’s books for textbooks, and, for all of you fellow Georgians, taking the infamous CRCT (Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests) for the impending stress known as finals week.

While, of course, the opportunity of being able to see today and attending college is nothing to take for granted, the ability to go back in time and relive old memories would be a dream. If you want to briefly revisit your childhood, or have a mini-concert on your study break, listen to this ultra-nostalgic list of songs we all knew and loved from 2010!

“TiK ToK” by Kesha

The song that put pop artist Kesha on the map, “TiK ToK” is a fun, electro-pop song that made its rounds worldwide. From the radio to the malls, and even in Rowley’s unforgettable viral video from Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rulesthis tune was so catchy that it managed to never get old.

“Dynamite” by Taio Cruz

This addictive dance-pop song garnered worldwide success for the British artist Taio Cruz. Whether you need something to boost your mood or get you energized, this is the go-to song.

“Secrets” by OneRepublic

The compelling sounds of a cello introduced one of OneRepublic’s most popular songs. Heard on various platforms like the promotional trailer for the TV series Pretty Little Liars to the Disney film The Sorcerers Apprenticethere’s a reason why “Secrets” achieved widespread praise – the charming use of the cello and violin created a refreshing style of pop music.

“Airplanes” by B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams

The melodious voices of B.o.B and Hayley Williams, combined with the mesmerizing sounds of the piano and guitar featured on this song, produced arguably one of the best tracks to begin the new decade.

“Mine” by Taylor Swift

Rewind to when Taylor Swift dominated the country music world, and this song would be among the most popular. This heartwarming song about letting your guard down for love is timeless.

“Your Love Is My Drug” by Kesha

Another hit single from her debut album, Animal, Kesha single-handedly delivered our pop music needs for 2010. Lively and fun to dance to, “Your Love Is My Drug” allows you to let yourself go all the while conveying the message of how addictive love can be.

“Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum

Who else used to look out the car window as a kid, watching the raindrops slide down the glass all while pretending to be in a music video? Well, this was the perfect background song. Fall in love all over again with this heartfelt ballad that resonated with many music lovers.

“Replay” by Iyaz

“Replay,” the debut single from his debut album of the same name, accumulated instant success for the breakout British Virgin Islands singer Iyaz. With such a catchy and unforgettable chorus, this song was clearly on replay for everyone.

“Fireflies” by Owl City

Euphoric, blissful, and relaxing – there are no other words that could describe the feelings attached to this song. This memory-evoking piece will have you reminiscing on the joys of childhood – and the thrill of catching fireflies as a kid.

“California Gurls” by Katy Perry

Last but not least, fall back in an obsession with the summer anthem from 2010. No matter where you came from, this fresh and upbeat ode to California had girls from all over the world singing at the top of their lungs.

Faith is a senior political science major and journalism minor at Georgia State University. In her free time, you can count on her either painting, baking, doing her hair, or occasionally playing guitar. From social justice issues to giving advice, read from a variety of topics that she is most passionate about!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus