Style

Why Wearing Crazy Socks is More than Just a Style Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

I am a whole-hearted lover of crazy socks. My collection (which my roommate says is a ‘bit excessive’, but whatever) includes socks with patterns of corgis, raccoons at a pool party, bumblebees, flying pigs, sea otters, bananas, frogs with crowns, seals, turtles, and ice-skating owls to name a few. I like wearing fun socks because it reminds me not to take life too seriously. After all, it’s pretty hard to get down on yourself when you have pugs on your socks! It also is a way to differentiate my style from other people’s, and always adds an interesting talking point to even the most basic outfits. 

photo

But wearing crazy socks isn’t just a fun way to show your unique style! A recent article I read “found people who have shown to deliberately choose to wear whacky socks are seen as having increased status and competency in the eyes of others”. Click here to read it for yourself!

photo

Who knew my strange obsession with weirdly patterned socks actually shows my increased competency to other people? I surely did not, but hey, I’m not going to argue with the facts. The article also stated that wearing crazy socks “helps us get into the mindset of feeling good about ourselves, having the confidence to wear whatever we want and embrace it”, which basically means that when we wear something we genuinely like, not because society says we should like it, our confidence increases, influencing the way we carry ourselves in our daily lives.

photo

So, go put on your wildest socks and wear them confidently! Even if nobody else can see them, you will have a little more pep in your step knowing your seemingly put-together looking outfit is complete with neon banana socks hidden beneath your favorite pair of boots. If you’re looking to jumpstart your kooky sock collection, check out Target for an awesome selection of cute and affordable pairs!