A Thank You Note to the Strong Females in My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Growing up, I was told I could do anything a boy could do. I was constantly reminded that my dreams, aspirations, and hopes were in no way limited because I was a girl. I was encouraged to follow my passions, regardless of the gender role that society had assigned to them. Looking back, I don’t think I ever realized how lucky I was that this was my childhood, and I certainly never expressed my thanks for those who raised me with the mentality that being a girl is not a predetermined disadvantage in life. So, this open letter is exactly that; a thank you to all of the strong females who guided me into adulthood and still continue to inspire me today.

Thank you to my aunt for showing me that being strong in no way means being unkind: in fact, the two go hand in hand and build off of each other, as a true act of strength is kindness in the face of adversary. 

Thank you to my best friends for never once letting me question my self-worth or abilities.

Thank you to my female high school teachers for encouraging me to push my boundaries of what is comfortable, and for instilling the belief in me that I am a life-long learner.

Thank you to my cousins for showing me that you are never too young to make an impact, and reminding me why we need to push change for gender equality in future generations.   

And finally, thank you to my mom for raising me to be just as strong as she is, and encouraging me to find my voice and advocate for what I believe in. 

I encourage you to take some time and think about who the strong women are in your life, and if you think they are a little underappreciated, drop them a quick text or call saying thank you! #GRLPWR