Surviving Finals Week is Easier than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Isn’t it ironic how the most wonderful time of the year has turned into the most stressful and hectic time as well?  Finals week:  we all think we won’t survive, but somehow we always see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Please remember, you will survive finals week.  In fact, it might be easier than you think. 

First of all, if you want to make it through, you should probably study.  Of course that’s going to be my first suggestion, because it’s the most obvious one.  Don’t procrastinate or put it off for another day, because the longer you wait the more painful the studying will be.  A good idea is studying a small amount of material for each class every day until your final.  That way you don’t have to leave it until the night before and cram a whole semester’s worth of material into three hours. 

Also, consider this amazing thing called sleep.   If you go to bed at a reasonable time every night this week (reasonable means before midnight), then I guarantee you will feel so much better about the impending doom you will be facing soon.  Sleep makes you happier, more energetic, and will help reduce your insane levels of stress.  You might even wake up and say, “Hey! I’m ready for that final! I’m gonna kill it!”  But I can’t guarantee that one.  Just go to bed, even when you feel like you need to study more.  Your body and mind will thank you.

Another tip is drinking water.  Staying hydrated during long hours of staring at your computer or textbook is very important.  There are literally endless benefits to drinking a healthy amount of water, but in this case, drinking water while studying will help you focus more and help you to avoid muscle cramps from sitting too long or getting headaches.  You should also think about eating a balanced diet with protein, carbohydrates, and fresh produce.  Try to avoid processed fats or foods with lots of sugar, as these will make you feel more tired faster and will make it difficult to focus while working. 

Remember to also give yourself breaks in between or after studying for long periods of time.  Go get some exercise or go eat lunch with your friends.  Watch an episode of your favorite show, or even take a nap.  If you dedicate every hour to studying for finals, you will be so exhausted later and probably be in a grumpy mood.  Taking small breaks (even if it’s just ten minutes) will make studying a little bit easier, and maybe even help with stress.

And finally, be confident.  You are here at Gonzaga University for a reason: because you are smart and capable of handling these types of situations very well.  Never go into a final doubting yourself or feeling like you’re going to fail.  If you think you’re going to fail, then you’ll be nervous and you’ll only be able to focus on what your career will be after you fail out of college. But, if you tell yourself (even if you’re lying) that you will do fantastically on that final, then chances are you will probably perform better on the test.  Confidence is key!  Fake it until you make it!  Finals got nothing on you! 

Good luck to everyone during this trying time; I know you will do well!

I am a sophomore at Gonzaga University and majoring in International Relations with minors in French and Environmental Studies.