This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new school year and for many students, that means a new place you get to call home (yes, the dorms). Whether you’re flying across the country to get to your new school or have chosen to stay close to home, we all want to make our dorm rooms feel like home on move in day. But sometimes, that is a little easier said than done! Unfortunately, most (meaning ALL) colleges don’t allow you to bring your family dog with you to live in the dorms with you, but there are plenty of other ways to turn your dorm into “home”.

1. Pictures!          Pictures are essential to have in your dorm room.  Print photos of you and your best friends from your graduation party, photos of your family all together on vacation, whatever reminds you of home! Having pictures posted on your wall or your desk is a great way to make everyone back home feel just a little bit closer.

2. Gifts!

For all the freshman out there, you just graduated, so I am sure you got some really cool gifts for your graduation.  Bring with you the gifts your friends and family gave you that can serve as a great memory.  Every time you look at it, you’ll instantly feel that much closer to home.

3. Letters!

One of the most fun things you can do when you are away at school is to send letters back and forth to your friends.  It’s a much more meaningful form of communication and you will always have those letters with you even when you grow up!  If you’re ever feeling homesick, going back and reading those letters are a quick pick-me-up and cure.

4. Anything comfortable!

Sometimes the best cure for homesickness is cuddling up in your blankets and watching that new Netflix series everyone is talking about (Stranger Things!!!). Your favorite pillow, blanket, and even those stuffed animals you have been sleeping with since you were a baby are the best way to make your room feel like home.  Having a little piece from home that has been a source of comfort as you’ve grown up might be the one thing that will comfort you at school.

Your brand new dorm room is ready for you to make it your own.  Make it as unique as you are and have fun with decorating. Good luck! 

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.