How to Avoid Getting Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

It’s that time of the season, and with it comes our least favorite part of the winter months: getting sick. Luckily, there are some simple lifestyle choices that can minimize your risk of getting sick and keep you healthy and happy as we head into the holiday season!

1. Get Regular Exercise

This increases blood flow and circulation as well as boosting your immune system and making you feel better. Even a walk helps!

2. Dress Appropriately

With the impending cold weather, it is important to keep yourself warm.

3. Stay Properly Hydrated

Water is necessary to help regulate temperature, maintain bodily functions and keep yourself healthy. Tea is another great option!

4. Get Enough Vitamin D

With less sun in our winter months, we reduce the amount of vitamin D we get, which is crucial to immune system health. You can take supplements to make sure you’re still getting what you need!

5. Practice good hygiene

This is a simple and well taught way to reduce the spread of germs and not let them into your body, including washing hands, showering regularly, covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough…

6. Get Enough Sleep

Lack of sleep lowers your immune system’s ability to fight infections, and can be very dangerous to your overall health and brain functions.

7. Eat Well 

Eating a balanced meal three times a day keeps your body healthy and running properly. Skipping meals or overloading on sugar or carbs stresses out your body and can you’re your immune cells.

8. Reduce Stress

Stress weakens your body and immune system, amplifying anxiety, tiredness and decreasing your overall well-being. It is important to take breaks and engage in stress-relieving behavior.

9. Have Fun!

As well as being a great way to reduce stress, spending time with other people and laughing positively affects your immune system as well as boosting your mood!