jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Decor 101: The Perfect Space Without Cleaning Out Your Bank Account

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Most girls will agree, the room, dorm or itty bitty space you get to call your own for the next nine months has to be perfect and just the way you envisioned it. I also pictured the perfect textures and aesthetic for my little corner, only to my not so perfect planning skills it  took a few weeks to get it right. Here are a few dos and don’ts of how to make sure you get your room just right and not break the bank you built this summer. 

1. Choose a color scheme you adore!! Pick a few neutrals, bold colors or whatever suits you and work from there. If you prefer a few neutrals and one color to stand out (my personal choice) use this to start a base for bedding, pillows, and throws. Bedding from Ikea, Target or pottery barn are all fairly priced and if you want to splurge on the bedding choice, Urban Outfitters is a great option. For throw pillows and throw blankets, places like Target and H&M Home provide basic looks that you can create to be your own. 

2. Buy some prints! Places such as Society 6, craft oak ($$$ but worth it!!) or Urban Outfitters have a variety of posters that will help create your home and make the place feel like yours! A variety of 3 or 5 posters will give the boring walls dimension and let you be creative with how you decorate!

3. There are many other little odds and ends that can make your home feel cozier. For example, a woven basket in place of a laundry hamper may be more personalized for your look. A smaller accent rug thrown over your chair may make your room or space more for you than the plain dorm or room you’re working with.