Book Release: the sun and her flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Rupi Kaur, author of the wildly popular #1 New York Times bestseller milk and honey, released her second collection of poetry on October 3rd, entitled the sun and her flowers. This new collection has a similar structure of the simple yet powerful poems paired with beautiful illustrations as seen in milk and honey, but in no way is the sun and her flowers a repetition of her original work. 

photo

In this book, Kaur split her poems into 5 sections based on the lifecycle of a plant: wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. Each section contains poems addressing different aspects of life, such as heartbreak, growth, healing, honoring ancestry, self-love, and many more relatable themes.

photo

I will be the first to admit that I am normally not a poetry enthusiast. I hated all of the the poetry units in my high school English classes, dismissing the works as old and boring because they were not applicable to my life. However, reading both milk and honey and the sun and her flowers has completely changed my view on poetry. Kaur’s words seem to pour off the page directly into my heart, her work putting emotions and thoughts that seem to be unexplainable into print.      

photo

I don’t want to give away any more information about the content of this incredible book, as I strongly encourage you to read these insightful poems and fully experience their emotional value for yourself. Seriously, this collection of poetry has changed my life (Wow, I never thought I would say that!), and I hope you give it a chance to change your life too!

photo