4 Mental Health Hacks for the Last Month of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

It is finally April, the last full month of school before the long awaited summer break. With this being the last month of classes, you are sure to face the inevitable feeling of being overwhelmed, both in the classroom and out. Remember to not set your mental stability on the backburner, for it should always be your first priority. This is no easy task, so here are a few helpful tips to keep you mentally and emotionally ready for the difficulty of the weeks leading up to finals.

1. Wash Your Sheets

One thing I know for sure about college is that I tend to put things off that I deem less important than homework, and washing my bed linens is one of those things.  Let’s face it, most of us cannot remember the exact date of our sheets’ last trip through the washer, and most of us do not want to face how long ago that was. By not washing our sheets often, bacteria and dead skins cells build up, which can prohibit us from getting a good night’s rest, which in turn keeps us from having a productive day. Besides, sleeping in your own sweat buildup is gross.

2. Go Outside

With the weather improving (and the snow finally stopping), going outside seems that more tantalizing. So lean in to that. Going outside for just 15 minutes a day has been linked to better mental health, including increased positivity, happiness and emotional stability.

3.  Don’t Hit the Snooze

I for one am fond of the “just five more minutes”. But science shows that snoozing your alarm clock and going back to sleep is less productive than getting up on the first alarm. People who hit the snooze in the morning are likely to disrupt REM sleep, which leads to less restful sleep. Snoozers are likely to be more sluggish and unmotivated throughout the day. So, next time skip the snooze and give yourself more energy and more time for productivity.

4. Surround Yourself with Positive Friends

Last year I tended to surround myself with just your normal run-of-the-mill friends, and I felt myself remain the same person I was before I had those friendships. This year I have changed that, and surrounded myself with a group of friends who force me to be the most positive and happiest version of myself. We do this thing called “aggressive positivity” where we constantly remind the others how great they are. You’d be surprised by how much happier and confident we all are because of these friendships. Friends are meant to shower you in love and affection, and you should not settle for less.

Keep up the strong work Zags!  Only a few more weeks before summer and not having to write another paper for three whole months! You can do it!