What Your Major Says About You

OMSWe don't have a Business major here at Gettysburg.  Or Marketing, or PR.  Most students who don't want to become teachers or doctors or scientists or whatever the heck I'm planning to do with my life, end up in Organizational Management Studies.  They are able to (or are forced to, depending on your perspective) take classes from every realm of the business world. It's a nightmare during classes (props to everyone who passes Stats), but a plus when your resume lists “experience” in every region of business. No family member at Thanksgiving is going to understand what OMS is. "Business?" No, that’s only offered as a minor. "Economics?" No, that’s another major and focuses on theory and the “perfect” models the real world will never obtain. "Then what is it?" A way to get a job after graduation. Yes, several students believe they're going to be the next Wolf of Wall Street because of this track, but let’s be honest: Organizational Management sounds like you are learning how to professionally organize a desk.  

Theatre ArtsThere is a very specific group of students who decide to dive into the Theatre Arts department. Given, several students try it out for graduation requirements, but those who become Theatre Majors have dedicated their lives to the stage. I may be wrong in this, but I have found that this program includes the students most likely to do one billion extracurricular activities involving their major. From plays to singing groups to improv, these students try it all. The Theatre program is very underrated; they have the coziest common room with the sweetest staff. And, I’m just saying, most programs don’t have dum dums out in public for the taking.   

PsychologyThere are two aspects of Psychology, the social fields or the science fields. In scientific research, you’d better be willing to hang out with some rats. In social research, you’re going to have to depend on other students to help you out with your research, which can be just as terrifying as the rodents. As a Psych Major, you’ll be able to annoyingly point out everything that your friends are doing it and why they are doing it. You’re also going to be able to diagnose yourself (my biggest mistake in taking Social Psych for fun). Psychology is eye-opening in that you find the answers to so many things that people do, but it’s also frustrating in that those answers lead to hundreds more questions you didn’t even know should be asked.   

EnglishYou probably love to write creatively, and are really good at bull-sh**ing about books. You may not read any of the required material, especially since you’re assigned hundreds of pages a week. You don’t have tests, and it’s an incredible thing, but those final papers always make you slightly regret not taking a class that is a one-and-done type of deal. No one knows what the Methods class really includes, but let’s face it, you don’t know either. If you don’t want to teach, you’re probably sick and tired of being asked if that’s what you want to do with your life. You also are probably one of the most clueless in what you want to do after you graduate as well.  Reading and writing is your passion, minus all of the required reading you have to do, so odds are your most horrific Gettysburg experience involved taking Bio 102 and Math 103 in order to fulfill those graduation requirements.  

Environmental Science In my professional opinion (lol), I would say that Environmental Science majors have the most frustrating and difficult major of all. It might not be crazy labs or insane hours in the library, but their purpose during college, after college, etc., is to save the world [cue Avatar theme]. They have to learn all about our Earth and the people in it, and how we are ultimately destroying the world, and that there isn’t much that they can do about it. They can personally minimize their carbon footprints and yell at everyone else to recycle and drink from reusable water bottles, but they are fighting a battle that is way more difficult than defeating Lex Luther. ES majors have to be passionate and dedicated in order to fight against the evils of the world. Be strong, ES majors, we appreciate all that you’re trying to do.  

Health Science-BAYou know that you like science, but you aren't sure of what to do with it yet. You find science cool and interesting, but it’s not your life. You have other things to think and worry about, so that just makes this course load even harder. The library or the Science Center is your home away from home, and your lab groups/partners are your saving grace.  Your externships and internships involve you watching open heart surgery and following around doctors and wearing scrubs and that’s awesome, but you might just want to be a psychical therapist for the Philadelphia Eagles (casual, I know). You have a very difficult first three years of Chemistry, Biology, science, science and labs, but if you play your cards right, you might only have to take the “cool” science classes your senior year which leaves time for you to struggle in Creative Writing for your graduation requirement. 

Health Science-BSYou’ve had a plan--- since you were 7--- and you’re still on track. You figured out your senior off campus housing during winter break of your freshman year, and no one is stopping you from getting into Nursing School, PA School, Med School or any kind of school that will help you save lives. You’re type A, and even though you have the hardest class schedule with the most labs, you’ll probably graduate with Honors because that’s just the kind of person you are.