This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The past two and a half years have been the busiest of my life. Between classes, homework, clubs, and events, I feel like I’m constantly moving and working. I keep telling myself that I just need to get through this assignment, and then I can take care of myself. But spoiler alert, there is always another assignment or urgent and important obligation. So far, this semester, I feel like I’ve put myself on the back burner. As we reach the middle of the semester and prepare for finals, I think now is the perfect time to build up some more healthy habits. This is the second article in a series on building healthy habits in college. Read the first, “Staying Physically Healthy” here!

Have you ever heard of a physical health day? Maybe you’ve taken a day for a special event, like a hike or marathon, but rarely do I wake up and say, “I need a physical health day.” So why do we have mental health days? While mental health has been getting its day in the sun lately, people rarely take care of this aspect. Many people combine mental and emotional health into one category, but our brains require just as much attention as our hearts! Mental health refers to maintaining our memory, understanding, and overall intellect. We work on mental health in a general sense at school, but it’s important to develop it on our own as well! It’s so important to make mental health upkeep a part of your life because it impacts so many areas of your life and health. Even during midterms season, we need to make sure to recharge our minds so that we’re better prepared for whatever our classes have to throw at us.

read

It’s drilled into our brains that reading regularly can make you smarter, but did you know that reading has been used as therapy? Ceridwen Dovey’s New Yorker article details the fascinating history and practice of bibliotherapy. Currently, the therapy exists as programming for in-prisoned people, the elderly, and other groups to promote healing, happiness, and an overall return to enjoying literature. Further, Dovey illustrates how the Ancient Greeks even referred to a library in Thebes as a “healing place for the soul,” and how World War I veterans were prescribed reading material (Dovey). Overall, it is clear that literature can help you to get through hard times.

As an English major, I’m already reading quite a bit. But it pains me that I haven’t read for pleasure lately! Reading is one of my favorite ways to relax because it’s also productive. If you read often you’ll be able to get through your class’s textbook way faster, you can learn something new, and it makes you feel just a little bit smarter! You can read anything you want; cheesy romance novels, short stories, poetry, non-fiction, or perhaps something to bolster your understanding of class material or your career interests. Check out an older article of mine, “What’s On My ‘To Read Next’ List?” to get some ideas!

explore a hobby

According to the Australian Department of Health and Aged Care, “spending time on an activity that you enjoy can improve your mental health and wellbeing. Research shows that people with hobbies are less likely to suffer from stress, low mood, and depression” (Purposeful Activity- Hobbies). If that isn’t enough evidence for you to get a hobby, I don’t know what is! Having a hobby and dedicating time to engage with it can help you recenter yourself and do something productive yet relaxing and low stakes.

The best thing about having a hobby is that it can really be anything. You can combine physical and mental healthcare and have fitness be a hobby of yours. It can be a side hustle, artistic, or even something as simple as journaling. Perhaps your hobby can be reading! We also have some great hobby ideas on our Facebook if you need any more ideas.

Keep up with the news

It’s no secret that paying attention to current events stimulates your brain. It’ll help you become a more informed citizen and make knowledgeable judgments. With Thanksgiving coming up, you can even impress your family with your in-depth understanding of what is going on in the world. Like reading in general, keeping up with the news can help make real-world connections in class and thoroughly impress your professors. The next time you go to watch a TikTok or scroll on Instagram, open up your news app instead and spend a few minutes reading. Make sure to read from diverse, reputable sources, and don’t just focus on bad news around the world! While it’s important to learn about these topics, it’s also important to consume positive material every once in a while, like scientific breakthroughs, helpful programs, and success stories!

I hope this installment of Staying Healthy in College helped your find ways to prioritize your mental health! If you want to further combine these activities, you could listen to a news podcast while you work out, read a book as you eat a healthy lunch, or implement working on a hobby into your bedtime routine! Good luck!

Works Cited

Dovey, Ceridwen. “Can Reading Make You Happier?” The New Yorker, 9 June 2015, https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/can-reading-make-you-happier.

“Purposeful Activity – Hobbies.” Head to Health, Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care, https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/meaningful-life/purposeful-activity/hobbies#:~:text=Spending%20time%20on%20an%20activity,feel%20happier%20and%20more%20relaxed.

Sophia Kenny

Gettysburg '24

Sophia Kenny graduated in May of 2024. During her time in Her Campus, she served as the President of Her Campus Gettysburg and former Vice President of Social Media. She covered many aspects of culture and college life, such as things to do around campus and ways to get acclimated. Sophia studied English and Business, Organization, and Management at Gettysburg College from 2020-2024. She was an Undergraduate Fellow of the Eisenhower Institute, served as Sooth's Gen Z Audience Council Chair, and completed an English Honors Thesis. Sophia's work has been published in the Gettysburg Connection and the Mercury. She has served as an intern for the Gettysburg Connection, Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger, First & First Consulting, and Sooth. In her free time, Sophia enjoys hanging out with friends and her cat, Star. You can find her procrastinating in the library, or listening to a podcast and painting her nails at home. You can keep up with her on LinkedIn.