This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Here are my tips on how to celebrate the season before it’s gone!

Fall Scented Items

The easiest way to be constantly reminded that it is fall is to have as many fall-scented items as you can afford. Candles, hand sanitizers, body washes, and perfumes are some of my favorite products to have on hand. Essentially, you can just walk into a Bath and Body Works right now and go crazy. These items are typically used in a time of self care, such as showering, getting ready for the day, or relaxing, so I always find it refreshing to celebrate the season while taking care of myself.

Treat yourself to Treats

I personally believe that autumn has some of the best baked goods, drinks, and treats. Everyone deserves to treat themselves, and there is no better way than eating some guilty pleasures. Pumpkin bread, hot chai, apple cider, pumpkin pie, and all of the Halloween candies are some of the many foods that I find myself drawn to during the season. If you really want to do it right, you should buy Halloween candy on November 1st, since so many stores still have a lot in stock, but they put them on sale soon after the holiday.

Spend time outside

While the temperatures are quite inconsistent throughout fall, I always enjoy bundling up and taking walks around campus or town. The trees are absolutely gorgeous this time of year, and there’s something about the crisp fall air that makes it so refreshing to be outside. Just make sure you check the forecast first, since one day it could be 70 degrees outside, and the next day, it could be 50.

Watch Halloween Movies

Although I am not a huge horror fan myself, I feel like there are so many Halloween movies that it makes it easy to find a film for anyone. Some of my personal favorites include Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas (although some believe it to be a Christmas movie, I watch it during both seasons), and Coraline. Each of these movies reminds me of growing up, and it’s nice to have that nostalgic feeling this time of year.

nightmare before christmas movie poster
Walt Disney Pictures

While there are many other ways to spend this time of year, I think you can never go wrong with some simple rest and relaxation to celebrate the season and yourself.

Natalie Sinclair

Gettysburg '23

Natalie Sinclair is a junior at Gettysburg College. She is majoring in Sociology, with minors in Business and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She loves spending time with friends and family, and hopes to work for a non-profit after graduation.