This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Last fall, I decided to drop my meal plan. I found myself unable to eat red meat, dairy, and I needed to watch my cholesterol. I went abroad in the spring of 2014, and my program required that we buy and cook our own meals. I loved the freedom to buy groceries, try recipes, and sometimes get takeaway when my meals didn’t quite work out. I haven’t regretted my decision to drop my meal plan because it gives me creative license to eat healthy and delicious homemade meals!

Today, I’m making a chipotle black bean veggie burger. The ingredients include the veggie burger (Giant brand chipotle black bean burgers), fresh iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, sautéed onions (pictured here raw), sharp cheddar cheese (I can now eat dairy in moderation), barbecue sauce, and a slightly over-ripe banana as a side dish.

The stereotype is that college students live off of ramen or mac and cheese, and I definitely have had my fair share of both. But I’ve been able to make time to go shopping and cook meals, and this is the result. It’s inexpensive (I spent less than $15 on this meal, and all of the ingredients pictured are only a fraction of the food I bought for that amount). If you have the time and the drive, I highly recommend cooking for yourself in college.

Lexi is a Psychology and English with a Writing Concentration double major at Gettysburg College. In her free time, you can find her watching Chopped, writing poems, and eating dry Cheerios out of the box.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.