Life > Experiences

Four Reasons to Join Her Campus at Gettysburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

With the Spring Activities fair finished, you may be wondering which clubs are the best fit for you. With over 100 clubs on campus, it can be hard to pick even just a few. To help you narrow down the options, I’m here to persuade you to join Her Campus at Gettysburg! As you can tell, we are a part of a larger international network that has chapters all over. Despite the pronoun “Her,” anyone is welcome to join. Even though we are primarily a writing club, you don’t have to be a writer to join! There are lots of other ways you can get involved, so stay tuned to see what else we do.

Internships and Career opportunities

Over winter break, I had an amazing opportunity to shadow a company called Drift, and I got to sit down with their hiring manager to go over my resumé. She said that Her Campus looks great on a resumé, and I couldn’t agree more. Being a part of this club shows that you have excellent communication, editing, organization, and leadership skills. Her Campus is one of the best media companies for college women out there, so if you want to work in anything surrounding media, publishing, or editing: we are the organization for you.

Even if you’re not into media, Her Campus can be great if you want to go into art or marketing, as we have a lot of opportunities to post on social media. Want a career in event planning? Her Campus has a ton of opportunities for that too! Having these opportunities on your resumé would definitely look great for your future career, or when you’re applying for internships.

Speaking of internships, Her Campus also offers some! You can find some more information here, but according to Her Campus, internship alumni have been “offered jobs and internships at Glamour, Vogue, BuzzFeed, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, People, The Huffington Post, Teen Vogue, InStyle, Esquire, O, MTV, The Washington Post, Digitas, Ogilvy, among others. Her Campus Media also frequently hires former interns for our own open positions.” I don’t know about you, but that sounds like an amazing opportunity and a great reason to join.

plan (and attend) fun events
diverse group of friends pexels rodnae productions?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

At Her Campus, we are always trying to plan fun events for not only ourselves but for the campus community. Last semester, we had a fundraiser for the YWCA in Gettysburg where participants paid a small fee to decorate a mini pumpkin. We had music, candy, and cider, and I think it was pretty fun!

Today we are holding board games and pizza night in Glatfelter Lodge from 5-7 PM, and tomorrow we are hosting a Workshop session from 1-2 PM in Glatfelter Lodge (with donuts and coffee)! Keep your eyes peeled, because we have more events coming up, such as Valentine’s card-making on the 12th from 1-3 PM in Glatfelter Lodge.

We also have some fun events for our members. Later this month we’ll have a spa night, and we’re also planning a power point night for later in the semester! In the past, we have had dinner together and seen a movie too. While a lot of the club focuses on writing, posting, and event planning, we also love to have fun with one another!

Finally, Her Campus Media plans “Her Conference” every summer for all of the chapters. Members from all over the country attend and get to meet each other, try free samples, and listen to informative panels and lectures. At the 2022 conference, I got to see how other chapters are structured, eat some delicious snacks, get a free headshot for LinkedIn, and so much more.

write about whatever you want

As I’ve mentioned, Her Campus is primarily a writing club. I wouldn’t consider myself a writer, but it can be fun to sit down and write a fun article to get your thoughts out. I’m one of those people who is constantly posting on my private Instagram and Snapchat stories, so I have a LOT to say, and an article is the perfect way to capture it.

As you can tell, you can write articles about almost anything, so you don’t have to be nervous about writing an article on something you don’t know a lot about. It can be a research-based article that you worked on for months or a quick piece like this. Anything and everything is welcome!

It’s also pretty cool to look myself up and see my articles! I remember I was so excited when my first article was published, and it brought me back to the days of Buzzfeed in middle school. Please tell me I’m not the only one who briefly daydreamed about working for Buzzfeed.

meet amazing people

While you may think that Her Campus is all about writing articles, we also focus on building friendships with one another. Her Campus has introduced me to so many great people. Sometimes we get dinner together as a club, and some of our members even went to Servo Thanksgiving together! The friendships aren’t just within the club, though. Due to my leadership position, I have gotten the opportunity to communicate with different offices, clubs, and departments throughout Gettysburg, and I have met even more people through this.

Finally, I went to Her Conference last summer, and I met even more great people since members from all over the country came! Overall, Her Campus surrounds you with college women who are funny, kind, intelligent, and so much more. It is such a great network of strong, passionate women who are constantly making their mark on campus, and I wouldn’t trade their friendships for the world.

At this point, I would be shocked if you aren’t convinced to join Her Campus. If you think we’re the club for you, we meet on alternating Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-7 PM in Glatfelter Lodge each week. If you want to learn more, definitely come to our meetings this weekend, or reach out to any of our social media accounts. I hope we see you soon!

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Instagram

TikTok

Twitter

Facebook

Pinterest

Sophia Kenny

Gettysburg '24

Sophia Kenny graduated in May of 2024. During her time in Her Campus, she served as the President of Her Campus Gettysburg and former Vice President of Social Media. She covered many aspects of culture and college life, such as things to do around campus and ways to get acclimated. Sophia studied English and Business, Organization, and Management at Gettysburg College from 2020-2024. She was an Undergraduate Fellow of the Eisenhower Institute, served as Sooth's Gen Z Audience Council Chair, and completed an English Honors Thesis. Sophia's work has been published in the Gettysburg Connection and the Mercury. She has served as an intern for the Gettysburg Connection, Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger, First & First Consulting, and Sooth. In her free time, Sophia enjoys hanging out with friends and her cat, Star. You can find her procrastinating in the library, or listening to a podcast and painting her nails at home. You can keep up with her on LinkedIn.