This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Look, most of this stuff is going to seem like super strange things to have to explain, but sometimes (especially when you don’t know something) it can be difficult to ask for help. That is exactly what this series is for. Most of these topics are small things, but it’s these that can add up.

Image via The Orion

If you’re going to survive by yourself, then you are eventually going to have to use that beast of a machine in the kitchen to cook yourself (or others) some food. That means that you need to know how to the stove correctly and safely.

Let’s start with actually turning on the stove.

There will be dials on the stove that control the different burners (the circles that get hot). Some of these get hot from electricity and others get hot from actual flame that is fed by gas. There should be a small picture next to each dial showing you which burner it controls. In most cases, you have to push the dial in a bit before you can turn it. This is where the type of stove you have becomes important.

Image via Storyblocks

A gas stove (above) will turn on and adjust heat quicker than an electric stove (below).

Image via AARP

Still, both of them will get hot very quickly. So, as your parents said as a kid, don’t touch the burners. If you have a pan on the burner and need to test the heat, then get your fingers lightly wet and splash the pan with water. If the water sizzles, then it gives you an idea of how hot the pan is.

Some more basic stove safety is that when you’re cooking with a pan or pot with a long handle, make sure that it’s turned so that the handle is not sticking out. That way, you can’t bump into it and spill whatever it is you’re cooking. It is also very smart and advisable to turn the burner off as soon as you’re done using it. Make sure you turn the dial all the way until you hear it click in the off position.

One of the most harmful and stressful situations you can encounter while cooking is a grease fire. This is when oil boils, then catches on fire when it moves past this temperature.

Image via Home Security

If this happens, stay calm. Turn off the heat. Cover the pan with a metal lid to get rid of the oxygen. You can also use a fire extinguisher or cover it with baking powder or salt. Be warned, these suggestions are only safe if used properly, so calling 911 is also a smart idea.

Before we leave this subject, let’s go over one of the most simple situations in which you might use a stove: to heat up a can of soup.

To start off with, open the can of soup, either by the pull tab tab on the top or by using a can opener. Then you’re going to want to empty the can into a pot. Fill the empty can with water and add that to the pot if necessary. Now you can turn on the stove – you only really need somewhere around the medium low range. Canned soup is usually already fully cooked, so all you’re really doing is heating everything up.

Make sure to stir it every now and again for around two to five minutes until it’s as hot as you want. Stirring is to keep it from burning to the pot. Turn off the stove and let it cool down if it’s too hot before eating. At this point, you can either transfer the soup to a bowl to eat or keep it in the pot. But if you’re going to keep it in the pot, then you’re going to have to let it cool down more because the pot will be hotter than the soup for quite a while.

It has been advised to me to at least know how to cook one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and one snack. That way you’re prepared for any situation where you might have to entertain some company.

For more complicated recipes and instruction, check out our cooking series. Join us next time to learn about laundry. Stay safe and happy cooking!

If you have a topic you’d like covered in ‘Adulting 101,’ please fill out this form for consideration! Thanks for reading!

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.