Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer With Notebooks
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Academics

A Few Thoughts before Finals Begin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Finals in college can be really stressful. I usually find myself feeling stressed even the week before finals start, and this is when I make my big to-do list and see all of the work that I have to complete by the end of the semester. This year, I am especially aware of the feelings of self-doubt that I have, yet I know these feelings do not make sense. I have written tons of papers during my time in college and even high school. I know how to write a paper, yet when I sit down at the computer to start, there is this self-doubt and feeling that I won’t be able to do it. I do not know if it is just because I am overwhelmed with all that I have to do or if I am concerned that I will not do well, but either way, it has been hard to get my motivation back that I had earlier in the semester. I assume that I am not the only one feeling this way, so I wanted to share a couple of things I am telling myself before finals officially start and what I am doing to avoid feeling so overwhelmed.

One thing I am doing is making a priority list. I definitely have a full to-do list with everything on it, but the priority list helps me see what I have to do as soon as possible/what is due first and the most important in the moment. Another thing I am trying to do is to set realistic goals. I can easily make goals that are too big or not realistically achievable. When I set manageable and realistic goals for my schoolwork, it definitely allows for me to get more done. I am trying to remember to also take care of myself during a heavy workload week. This comes in many forms for me; sometimes this is simply just getting a coffee or tea, or it can be sitting and hanging out with friends. These small things help my mental health immensely and bring me joy amidst the tasks I need to complete.

Finally, I am reminding myself that I CAN do this. I am capable of getting everything done. I have done it all before, and I need to remember to believe in myself. I can’t psyche myself out. I need to take things one step at a time and realize that it will all work out.

To all of the students who are about to take finals or are completing finals, we got this. We are so close to break. Everything will be ok. I believe in us.

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur