5 Things To Do If You Need a Study Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

With midterms quickly approaching, it can seem like all you’re doing is studying and writing papers. But it’s important to take breaks and not overload your brain. So here are 5 things you can do when it’s time to step away from the books for a little bit:

1.  Go to the Schmucker Art Gallery

Photo by author

Located in Schmucker Hall, the gallery has frequent exhibitions, many of which are student curated. The two current exhibitions include Recent Acquisitions and Leonard Baskins: Imaginary Artists (curated by Erica Schaumberg ’18 and Kathya Lopez ’18). There are currently Andy Warhol, Kara Walker, and William Clutz pieces among many others. It’s a great place to unwind and take in some beautiful pieces of art.

2.  Check out board games in the library

Image via Lambeth

On Fridays and Saturdays, the library now offers students the options to play board games! If you just need a quick break but don’t have the time or energy to go out or do a lot of socializing, there’s nothing better than old school games right where you’re already studying in the library!

3.  Take a walk around campus

Photo by author

Sure, you walk campus every single day to and from class. But chances are you’re with friends or on your phone or doing last minute studying. Really walk around our beautiful campus and take it in. Before you know it, you’ll be graduating and you’ll miss the banners blowing in the wind at Penn Hall and the way the light filters through the trees onto the library. Plus, walking is great to get blood flow going in the middle of an intense homework session.

4.  Write a note to someone

Recently, my friends and I have started handwriting notes to each other. Taking 15 minutes out of your day to write someone and tell them how much you appreciate their presence in your life not only brightens their day, but is a great practice in positive thinking for you. Set aside the stress of schoolwork and focus on the people in your life who make each day a little brighter and tell them that.

5.  Meditate/Mindfulness Exercises

Photo by author

Centering yourself and ridding your thoughts of the excess stress can be an integral part of your life. Google will be your best friend in finding a way to meditate that works for you. Focus on being in the now, not on what is going to happen tomorrow or next week or next year. It can be very challenging as college students to just let everything go, but it can do wonders if done for even only a minute.

Darby is a Gettysburg College class of 2020 student who is majoring in psychology and studio art, minoring in neuroscience, and doing a pre-med track.  She enjoys anything related to Disney, shopping, reading, Navy football, art, and music, as well as spending time with her family, friends, and church community. 
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.