tailgate captions?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tailgate captions?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo By Kampus Productions from Pexels
Life > Experiences

10 Things to do in Gettysburg during April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

If you’ve been keeping up with my articles, you’ll know that I have published one called “Ten Things You Need to do This Semester at Gettysburg” in January of this year. And just like that, the semester is almost over! Whether you’re a senior trying to cross things off your bucket list in this final month or an underclassman trying to make the most of the semester, I’ve put together a list of the best things to do to round out your year!

The Addams Family
jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

Support Student Musical Theater by seeing their performance of The Addams Family on April 1 from 2-5 PM in the CUB Ballroom! The musical follows our favorite kooky family as they try to blend in with their potential in-laws. I actually saw this musical last year, and it was pretty funny, so make sure to grab some friends and check it out!

Senate Open

It’s time to pick out the perfect outfit for this year’s Senate Open, also on April 1! The event will be in the Attic and is sure to be a great time. What better way to kick off the last month of school than a party?

Mid Mad

Okay, okay. I know that Mid Mad isn’t popular with everyone, but I LOVE Mid Mad. Like why would I pass up an opportunity for free mozzarella sticks, nachos, and mediocre karaoke? The last Mid Mad of the semester will be held in Bullet, also on April 1 from 11 PM-1 AM.

That’s everything on the first day of April! I don’t know about y’all, but that day sounds like a lot of fun to me! A show, a party, and then free food!

Management department lecure

Join the Management Department on April 3 from 5-6:30 PM in Mara Auditorium for a lecture on The Power of Nice – Negotiating Ethically but Effectively: Finding Win-Win in a Win-Lose World. This important topic is brought to us by Ronald Shapiro, an “expert negotiator, attorney, sports agent, educator, New York Times bestselling author, and civic leader” who is also “known as one of the most successful dealmakers in the sports industry” (EngageGettysburg). Shapiro is definitely someone to take pointers from. If you’re trying to go to more lectures this semester, this is one you won’t want to miss. Register in advance!

APO’s Red Cross Blood Drive

Are you looking for a way to give back to the community? Look no further than APO’s Blood Drive on April 4 from 1-5 PM in the CUB Ballroom. I’ll be the first to say that when I’m at school, I kind of forget about the world. I’m so focused on checking things off my planner and getting caught up in everything that I forget how important it is to support our amazing town and community. This is a great opportunity to do great work!

Upcycled Art Show & Silent Auction

The Adams Rescue Mission is hosting this incredible event with a reception on April 7 from 6-8 PM at Waldo’s! The auction will end on April 30, and you can check out the pieces on their Facebook page. To bid on an item, just stop by Waldo’s during regular hours and before 4 PM on April 30.

Bob Ross Painting with Her Campus

Wow look at that! Shameless plug for our upcoming event on April 14 from 4-6 PM in Breidenbaugh 205. Join us for some relaxing painting before finals start. If you’ve been thinking about joining Her Campus next year, this is the perfect event to go to so that you can learn more about us!

Gettysburgians get connected!

Calling all juniors and seniors! Join the Alumni Board of Directors and the BOLD Council for a reception and mixology demonstration on April 15 from 4:30-6 PM in the Alumni House! This is a great opportunity to network with some alumni, which is always a great idea. This can be especially helpful if you’re on the internship/job hunt… perhaps the alumni can point you in the right direction! Make sure to RSVP in advance if you would like to attend.

Gettysburg Beyond the Battle Museum

April 15 is the Grand opening of this brand new museum! Join the Adams County Historical Society for this amazing event and to learn more about the amazing town that we live in. The museum will be open from then on, so you can go at any point in April, but I recommend going during their opening weekend to take advantage of the great programming they have scheduled.

SPring Choral Concert

Support members of the College Choir at their Spring Concert on April 15 from 8-9:30 PM! The event will be held in Christ Chapel, and it’s free for students, so why not attend? I haven’t been to the Choir Concerts before, but I have been to a recital for the music department, and I felt incredibly cultured and fancy after going. Whether you’re going to support a friend, hear some great music, or to feel fancy like me, I’m sure this will be a great event.

I hope you guys attend some of these events (specifically ours!) and enjoy the rest of the semester! This is your reminder to make the most of it because college doesn’t last forever. Have fun!

Sophia Kenny

Gettysburg '24

Sophia Kenny is the President of Her Campus Gettysburg and former Vice President of Social Media. She covers many aspects of culture and college life, such as things to do around campus and ways to get acclimated. Sophia is a Senior at Gettysburg College and an English and Business, Organization, and Management double major on the Dean's List. She is currently an Undergraduate Fellow of the Eisenhower Institute, serves as Sooth's Gen Z Audience Council Chair, and is pursuing her English Honors Thesis. Sophia's work has been published in the Gettysburg Connection and the Mercury. She has served as an intern for the Gettysburg Connection, Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger, First & First Consulting, and Sooth. In her free time, Sophia enjoys hanging out with friends and her cat, Star. You can find her procrastinating in the library, or listening to a podcast and painting her nails at home.