Life > Experiences

Ten Things You Need to do This Semester at Gettysburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

At the beginning of the semester, I always think “This is my semester.” I daydream about shopping in town and discovering new spots, excelling in class, and going to as many free events as I can. As the semester drags on however, I always find that I get too lazy to go to that event on Stine Lake, or I have too much homework to catch up on and I can’t spend the day milling around town. I’m sure that I’m not alone here, so I thought it would be beneficial to make a bucket list for this semester. Here are some of the things I want to do this semester!

Go to the Adams county farmer’s market

Even if you don’t have a kitchen in your dorm, fresh produce is essential for a healthy diet. And we know Servo and Bullet can be lacking in that department. Attending the Adam’s County Farmer’s Market is not only a great way to improve your diet, but it helps support the community. According to their website, the Market is a nonprofit organization that promotes small businesses and assists those with low incomes in acquiring nutritious food.

While the Market opens at the end of our semester, make sure to pay it a visit before you go home! It opens on Saturday, April 29, 2023 and will be operating every Saturday until November from 8 AM until 1 PM. You can find it at the Gettysburg Recreation Park, which is just a short walk or drive from campus (Gettysburg Rec Park, 545 Long Lane, Gettysburg, PA 17325).

see a baseball game
all american homecoming by Original photo by DaZhane Johnson?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original photo by Da’Zhane Johnson

I’m not exactly the biggest baseball fan, but it’s a great way to enjoy a sunny spring day and hang out with some friends. You could watch a Bullets game, or travel to see a game in some of the cities near us.

While we aren’t exactly located near a baseball stadium, going to see a Major League game could be a fun day trip! If you’re looking for a quick trip, you can head to Baltimore to see an Orioles game. Baltimore is just an hour away, so you can also make a day of it and explore a new city. Our nation’s capital is also just two hours away, so you can head south to see a Washington Nationals game. If you have a bit more Pennsylvania pride, head to Philadelphia to catch a Phillies game. Philadelphia is just over two hours away, so it’s also fairly close.

The season starts March 30, so take a look at the schedule to see when there’s a game near us!

Attend a Lecture

While we all love to have fun in college, the main reason we are here is to learn. Some of the best ways to soak up some knowledge are to attend public lectures from guest speakers on campus. The Eisenhower Institute usually has a few throughout the semester that highlight leadership and business, and they’re always so interesting. There are also a few poetry readings on campus hosted by the English department, as well as other events from different academic departments. I always feel so smart after leaving these lectures, and they’re a great way to network!

Let loose at springfest
Bid Day 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Ah, Springfest. When I think of spring semester, I think of Springfest. For those of you who do not know, Springfest is one of the last weekends of the spring semester, when everyone just has fun and celebrates the academic year before going home for the summer. The sunny and warm weather is an added bonus to all the great events, you almost forget about all the final exams you have.

Last year, they had a bouncy house obstacle course, waterslides, an Earth day celebration, free donuts, and games hosted by the theme houses. One of the best parts of Springfest is the International Food Festival, where I stuffed myself with tons of food from all over the world that I had never tried before. Truly the best weekend.

bake a berry pie
Peach Pie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

If you have access to a kitchen this semester, you definitely need to bake something. A berry pie is perfect for the spring, and you can use whatever fruit or berry you like most as the filling. There are a ton of recipes online, and you can either use a pre-made crust or go big or go home and start it from scratch. The possibilities are endless, but you will always end up with a delicious homemade creation!

Go to build-a-bae

I haven’t gone to this event in a few years, but it’s such a memorable event! For those of you who haven’t been, it’s kinda like Build-a-Bear. Check Engage Gettysburg to see when (or if) it’s being hosted this year and sign up before spots run out. You can then pick which stuffed animal you want, and on the day of you get to stuff your new friend and take them home! If you’re lacking in the bedding department, this is a great idea!

Watch airbands

I didn’t get to see Airbands last year and I was so sad that I missed it! Airbands is Alpha Delta Pi’s main event of the year, and the ticket proceeds go to their philanthropy, the Ronald McDonald House Charities. The other Greek organizations compete against one another to win the Airbands title. Other organizations are welcome to participate as well, such as dance teams and musical groups. Whether you’re a part of Greek life or not, Airbands seems like a great way to spend your night, and I can’t wait to go this year!

Have a tea party picnic

I’ve been dying to have a tea party picnic for the past few years because it seems so adorable and fun. Despite it being kind of easy to throw together, I just haven’t gotten around to it! The beauty of it is that you can make it as intricate or simple as you want. Just buy some tea that you and your friends enjoy; make or buy some cute sandwiches, pastries, and snacks; get a blanket, and enjoy! You can even bring a speaker to play music, buy some canvases to paint or do another activity to make your picnic even more memorable. This is so customizable and fun, so I can’t wait to do it this semester.

Attend pub trivia
West Building at Gettysburg College
Original Photo by Ashley Webb

I am a big trivia fan, and I think everyone should be too! The best thing about Pub Trivia is that the topics are always different. So if you’re an expert on women’s history, one in March may be for you! Pub Trivia is hosted by OSAGL every Thursday in the Attic from 8- 10 PM. We hope to see you there!

come to bullet journaling!

I had to self-promote our next event, didn’t I? As we start the semester, we thought it would be a good idea to host a Bullet Journaling session to ensure that everyone is prepared to succeed! Bullet journals can be anything you want them to be. You can track your daily moods, books you read, movie reviews, your period, and so much more. You can also use it as a customizable planner so that it suits all of your needs. If you need ideas, check out our TikTok for some inspiration.

If you want to check it out and hang out with us, we will be in Glatfelter Lodge on Saturday, January 28 from 1-3 PM! See you there!

I hope that you got some ideas for things to do this semester, and I can’t wait to see you all at these events!

Follow us on social media

Instagram

TikTok

Twitter

Facebook

Pinterest

Sophia Kenny

Gettysburg '24

Sophia Kenny graduated in May of 2024. During her time in Her Campus, she served as the President of Her Campus Gettysburg and former Vice President of Social Media. She covered many aspects of culture and college life, such as things to do around campus and ways to get acclimated. Sophia studied English and Business, Organization, and Management at Gettysburg College from 2020-2024. She was an Undergraduate Fellow of the Eisenhower Institute, served as Sooth's Gen Z Audience Council Chair, and completed an English Honors Thesis. Sophia's work has been published in the Gettysburg Connection and the Mercury. She has served as an intern for the Gettysburg Connection, Tampa Bay Network to End Hunger, First & First Consulting, and Sooth. In her free time, Sophia enjoys hanging out with friends and her cat, Star. You can find her procrastinating in the library, or listening to a podcast and painting her nails at home. You can keep up with her on LinkedIn.