This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

10. The Smelly Tree

Image via Author

This tree is really only spectacular in the spring. This is because it has the most beautiful flowers, and they smell so much stronger than other trees on campus. So, if you really want to smell that springtime, this is your tree.

9. Ginkgo!

Image via Author

It’s, as far as I know, the only ginkgo tree on campus. And it’s leaves are so pretty in the fall!

8. Francis

Image via Author

Ok, so, the awesome thing about this tree is how it’s leaves fan out over the sidewalk. As you’re walking past Kline, you can touch the leaves on one side and then the other, It’s like it’s saying hello every time you pass!

7. The Big Boy

Image via Author

This guy really just has to be here because of his size. That’s it.

6. The Silver Pine

Image via Author

This tree is just so elegant. The coloring is unusual compared to the other trees on campus but it just works. I almost expect to see this tree in some royal garden instead of outside McCreary.

5. The Expressive Trees

Image via Author

These trees are in a line right between the Science Center and McCreary, and they are beautiful. Their bark is this really smooth reddish brown. As an added plus, their bark gets this really cool multicolored effect sometimes.

4. The Sagging Willow

Image via Author

This tree just looks so sad! But, like, it has accepted it’s sadness and is plotting revenge. This tree has more salt than I can ever hope to achieve. It’s like a little old lady dressed in a ratty cloak who will give you a concussion with just one hit because a curse isn’t satisfying enough. Think Whomping Willow from Harry Potter but with more patience.

3. The Witch’s Tree

Image via Author

Face it. This tree looks like it came right out of a fantasy book. Every day I just expect some sort of fairy creature to emerge from the door looking shape on the trunk.

2. The Muses

Image via Author

Ok, so technically they’re more than one tree. But they are all just grouped so nicely. And especially with the flowers planted between them, they look like a little nature oasis!

1. The Leaning Tree of Gettysburg Jr.

Image via Author

The Leaning Tree of Gettysburg was both ionic in its own right and often associated with the aptly nicknamed “Hogwarts” building. For both of these reasons it was spectacular. We all miss it dearly, but it’s memory is not gone! Jr carries on this tradition wonderfully. Positioned right outside of Plank, people often don’t even notice his leaning. But, if one looks closely, he’s got a mean lean to rival his predecessor’s.

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.